Concrete Structures Under Blast Loading Dynamic Response, Damage, and Residual Strength
The resilience of a city confronted with a terrorist bomb attack is the background of the paper. The resilience strongly depends on vital infrastructure and the physical protection of people. To judge the vulnerability, to assess the resilience, and identify effective countermeasures, risk assessment tools are needed. The paper starts with a general problem analysis and the approach that was defined by TNO to contribute to develop safety assessment tools. An important and basic element in the safety chain is the passive protection layer, while in safety assessment, the residual functionality of the vital infrastructure is of major importance. Specific knowledge is needed to design effecttive passive protection and enable explosion damage prediction. Dedicated research has been defined in The Netherlands and addressed in this paper.
Keywordscivil infrastructure explosions terrorist attack damage assessment concrete
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Biggs, J. M., 1964, Introduction to Structural Dynamics, McGraw-Hill.Google Scholar
- Hallquist, J. O., 2005, LS-DYNA Theory Manual, Livermore Software Technology Corporation.Google Scholar
- Mediavilla, J., et al., 2007a, Application of a Kalman filter to blast loaded structures, Protect 2007, Whistler, Canada.Google Scholar
- Mediavilla, J., Weerheijm J. and van Doormaal J. C. A. M., 2007b, Failure and resistance of reinforced concrete plates under blast: numerical part, TNO-DV 2007 IN533, December 2007.Google Scholar
- van Doormaal, J. C. A. M., and Weerheijm, J., 1996, Ultimate deformation capacity of reinforced concrete slabs under blast load, Fourth International Conference on Structures Under Shock and Impact, 1996, Computational Mechanics Publications Southampton (Editors N. Jones, C.A. Brebbia and A.J. Watson).Google Scholar
- Vegt, I., and Weerheijm, J., 2007, The failure mechanisms of concrete under impul-sive tensile loading, Consec-07 Conference, Tours, France.Google Scholar
- Weerheijm, J., and Lim, H. S., 2007, Break-up of concrete structures under internal explosion, FraMCoS-6 Conference, Italy.Google Scholar
- Weerheijm, J., Oldenhof, E., and Sluys, L. J., 2005, Failure modes of reinforced concrete beams subjected to explosion loadings, EURODYN Conference, Paris.Google Scholar