Microstructures and Mechanical Properties of Irradiated Metals and Alloys
The effects of neutron irradiation on the microstructural evolution of metals and alloys are reviewed, with an emphasis on the roles of crystal structure, neutron dose and temperature. The corresponding effects of neutron irradiation on mechanical properties of metals and alloys are summarized, with particular attention on the phenomena of low temperature radiation hardening and embrittlement. The prospects of developing improved high-performance structural materials with high resistance to radiation-induced property degradation are briefly discussed.
KeywordsDislocation loops displacement cascades void swelling radiation hardening flow localization fracture toughness embrittlement structural materials ferritic/martensitic steels
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bement, A. L. Jr., 1970, Fundamental materials problems in nuclear reactors, 2nd Int. Conf. on Strength of Metals and Alloys, W. C. Leslie. Metals Park, OH, Am. Society for Metals. II:693-728.Google Scholar
- Diehl, J., Siedel, G. P., and Weller, M., 1968, Neutron irradiation hardening of iron single crystals containing small amounts of carbon, Trans. Japanese Institute of Metals 9 Supplement (Proc. ICSMA-1):219-225.Google Scholar
- Grossbeck, M. L., Gibson, L. T., Jitsukawa, S., Mansur, L. K., and Turner, L. J., 1999, Irradiation creep at temperatures of 400°C and below for application to near-term fusion devices. 18th Int. Symp. on Effects of Radiation on Materials. Eds. R. K. Nanstad, M. L. Hamilton, F. A. Garner and A. S. Kumar, West Conshohocken, PA, American Society for Testing and Materials:725-741.Google Scholar
- Klueh, R. L., Hashimoto, N., and Masiasz, P. J., 2005, Development of new nano-particlestrengthened martensitic steels, Scripta Mater. 53(3):275-280.Google Scholar
- Odette, G. R., Yamamoto, T., and Rathbun, H. J., He, M.Y., Hribernik, M.L., and Rensman, J.W., 2003, Cleavage fracture and irradiation embrittlement of fusion reactor alloys: mechanisms, multiscale models, toughness measurements and implications to structural integrity assessment, J. Nucl. Mater. 323(2-3):313-340.CrossRefADSGoogle Scholar
- Okada, A., Kanao, K., Yoshiie, T., and Kojima, S., 1989, Transition of deformation structures in Ni and Au by D-T neutron irradiation, Mater. Trans. JIM 30(4):265-272.Google Scholar
- Wechsler, M. S., 1972, Dislocation channeling in irradiated and quenched metals, The Inhomogeneity of Plastic Deformation, R. E. Reed-Hill. Metals Park, OH, Am. Society for Metals: 19-54.Google Scholar
- Zinkle, S. J., 2005a, Fusion materials science: Overview of challenges and recent progress, Phys. Plasmas 12(5):058-101.Google Scholar
- Zinkle, S. J., and Lucas, G. E., 2003, Deformation and fracture mechanisms in irradiated FCC and BCC metals. Fusion Materials Semiann. Progress Report for Period ending June 30, 2003, DOE/ER-0313/34, Oak Ridge National Lab: 101-125.Google Scholar