An Integrated SystemC Debugging Environment
Since its first release the system level language SystemC had a significant impact on various areas in VLSI-CAD. One remarkable benefit of SystemC lies in the support of abstraction levels beyond RTL. But being able to implement complex System-on-Chip (SoC) designs in SystemC raises the necessity of new techniques to support debugging, system exploration, and verification.
We present an integrated debugging environment that facilitates designers in simulating, debugging, and visualizing their SystemC models combining high-level debugging with visualization features. Our work mainly focuses on developing an easy to handle interface which supports debugging and system exploration of SystemC designs.
KeywordsHigh-level Debugging SystemC Graphical Debugging Environment System Level Design System Exploration and Visualization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.ARM Ltd. MaxSim Developer. Home page: www.arm.com
- 2.D. Berner, H. Patel, D. Mathaikutty, J.-P. Talpin, S. Shukla: SystemCXML: An extensible SystemC front end using XML. Technical Report 06, FERMAT@Virginia Tech, Apr. 2005Google Scholar
- 3.L. Charest, M. Reid, E. Aboulhamid, G. Bois: A methodology for interfacing open source SystemC with a third party software. In Design, Automation and Test in Europe, Munich, Germany, pp. 16–20, 2001Google Scholar
- 4.Concept Engineering. Home page: www.concept.de
- 5.CoWare Platform Architect. Home page: www.coware.com
- 6.Eclipse Foundation. Project home page: www.eclipse.org
- 7.C. Eibl, C. Albrecht, R. Hagenau: gSysC: A graphical front end for SystemC. In European Conference on Modelling and Simulation, Riga, Latvia, pp. 257–262, 2005. Source available at www.iti. uni-luebeck.de/albrecht/gSysC
- 8.E. Gamma, R. Helm, R. Johnson, J. Vlissides: Design pattern–elements of reusable object-oriented software. In Addison-Wesley Professional Computing Series, 1999Google Scholar
- 9.C. Genz, R. Drechsler, G. Angst, L. Linhard: Visualization of SystemC designs. In IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems, New Orleans, USA, pp. 413–416, 2007Google Scholar
- 10.GNU debugger. Home page: www.gnu.org/software/gdb
- 11.D. Große, R. Drechsler, L. Linhard, G. Angst: Efficient automatic visualization of SystemC designs. In Forum on Specification and Design Languages, Frankfurt, Germany, pp. 646–657, 2003Google Scholar
- 13.M. Moy, F. Maraninchi, L. Maillet-Contoz : PINAPA: An extraction tool for SystemC descriptions of systemson-a-chip. In ACM International Conference on Embedded Software (EMSOFT’05), Jersey City, USA, pp. 317–324, 2005Google Scholar
- 14.OSCI. SystemC. Home page: www.systemc.org
- 15.F. Rogin, E. Fehlauer, S. Rülke, S. Ohnewald, T. Berndt: Non-intrusive high-level SystemC debugging. In Advances in Design and Specification Languages for Embedded Systems. Springer Netherlands, pp. 131–144, July 2007Google Scholar
- 16.A. Wieferink, M. Doerper, T. Kogel, G. Braun, A. Nohl, R. Leupers, G. Ascheid, H. Meyr: A system level processor/communication co-exploration methodology for multi-processor system-on-chip platforms. In IEE Proceedings: Computers & Digital Techniques, volume 152, pp. 3–11, Jan. 2005Google Scholar