Investigation of Spectrophotometrical and Fluorescent Behavior of 1,3-Diethyl-5-(Quinoline-2-Ylmethylene)-2-Thioxodihydropyrimidine-4,6(1H,5H)-Dione in Various Solvents
Heterocyclic compounds containing atoms of the elements such as nitrogen, sulfur and oxygen as ring members are commonly used in various fields of industry as analytical reagents, ligands, dyestuffs, pharmaceutical substances and bioindicators.
In this study 5-(Quinoline-2-ylidene)-1,3-diethyl-2-thiobarbituric acid have been synthesized via Knoevenagel condensation reaction, the product solutions were prepared 10 −3 − 10 −5 M in CHCI 3, THF, MeOH, DMF and DMSO. UV/VIS spectra recorded and then compared at each other. Absorbance of the solutions were measured at 200 – 300 nm. The maximum absorbance value increased and a new absorption appeared at 400 – 500 nm. The samples were excited at 337 nm in order to measure fluorescence. The maximum emission was observed in MeOH at 398 nm. These values increased by time; therefore, the samples were not stable in solution state.
KeywordsFluorescence Heterocyclic compound Knoevenagel condensation Spectroscopy Yildiz Technical University Science and Art Faculty Chemistry Department 34220 Esenler-Istanbul Turkey
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Beyer, H., 1963, Organic Chemistry, Verlag Harri Deutsch, Frankfurt, GermanyGoogle Scholar
- 5.Solomons, T.W.G., 1992, Organic Chemistry, 5th ed., Wiley, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 6.Rabjohn, N., 1976, Org. React., 24, 261Google Scholar
- 7.March, J., 1985, Advanced Organic Chemistry, Reactions, Mechanisms and Structure, 3rd ed., John Wiley and Sons, Inc., New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 8.Knoevenagel, E., 1898, Condensation von Malonseaure mit Aromatischen Aldehyden Durch Ammoniak und Amine, Ber, 31, 2596–2619Google Scholar
- 11.Akinci, A., 2005, Kinolinil Substitüe Barbitürik ve Tiyobarbitürik Asit Türevlerinin Sentezi, FBE, Yildiz Technical University, Istanbul, Turkey. M.Sc. ThesisGoogle Scholar