High Resolution Wind Field Retrieval from Synthetic Aperture Radar: North Sea Examples
A methodology for retrieving high resolution ocean surface wind fields from satellite borne Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) data is introduced and validated. The algorithm is applicable to SAR data acquired at C-band at moderate incidence angles. Wind directions are extracted from wind induced streaks that are visible in SAR images and that are very well aligned with the mean surface wind direction. To extract the orientation of these streaks an algorithm based on the derivation of local gradients is utilized. Ocean surface wind speeds are derived from the Normalized Radar Cross Section (NRCS) using a geophysical model function that describes the dependency of the NRCS on the wind and imaging geometry. To validate the algorithm and demonstrate its applicability, SAR retrieved wind fields of the North Sea are compared to numerical atmospheric model results of the German Weather Service.
KeywordsVortex Microwave Radar Cyclone Azimuth
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Dankert H, Horstmann J, Rosenthal W (2003) Ocean wind fields retrieved from radar-image sequences. J Geophys Res 108 (C11) doi:10.1029/2003JC002056Google Scholar
- Horstmann J, Koch W, Lehner S, Tonboe R (2002) Ocean winds from RADARSAT-1 ScanSAR. Can J Rem Sens 28 (3): 524-533Google Scholar
- Horstmann J, Koch W (2005) Measurement of Ocean Surface Winds Using Synthetic Aperture Radars. J Oceanic Eng 30 (3): 506-515Google Scholar
- Johannessen OM, Alexandrov VY, Frolov IY, Sandven S, Pettersson LH, Bobylov LP, Kloster K, Smirnov VG, Mironov YU and Babich NG (2006) Remote Sensing of Sea Ice in the Northern Sea Route - Studies and Applications, Nansen Centers Polar Series no.4. Springer Praxis.Google Scholar
- Monaldo F, Kerbaol V, Clemente-Colon P, Furevik B, Horstmann J, Johannessen J, Li X, Pichel W, Sikora T, Thompson D, Wackerman C (2004a) The SAR Measurement of Ocean Surface Winds: An Overview. Proc 2nd Workshop on Coastal and Marine Applications of SAR, ESA SP-Series SP-565, pp 15-32Google Scholar
- Thompson D, Elfouhaily T, Chapron B (1998) Polarization ratio for microwave backscattering from the ocean surface at low to moderate incidence angles. Proc Int Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symp, Seattle, pp 1671-1673Google Scholar
- Thompson D, Beal R (2000) Mapping of mesoscale and submesoscale wind fields using synthetic aperture radar. John Hopkins APL Tech Dig 21 pp 58-67Google Scholar
- Vachon PW, Dobson F (1996) Validation of wind vector retrieval from ERS-1 SAR images over the ocean. Global Atmos Ocean Syst 5: 177-187Google Scholar
- Vachon PW, Dobson F (2000) Wind retrieval from RADARSAT SAR images: Selection of a suitable C-band HH polarization wind retrieval model. Can J Rem Sens 26 (4): 306-313Google Scholar