Using 3D CAD Models for Programming High Speed Machining
The paper analyses the factors that have an influence on the quality of the HSM process, as experienced within the industrial process. The discussed factors include the limitations of machine tools and the problem of design producibility that has an impact on process programming for HSM technology. The mistakes made in the stages of product design, when 3D CAD model of product geometry is prepared have the considerable effect on process programming, machining and final surface quality. The paper describes also the method of NC part programming in CAM systems that can eliminate disadvantages of machine tools. It shows the options of machining cycles designed for HSM.
Keywordshigh speed machining CAD/CAM CNC programming
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.S. Altmueller, S. Knodt, T. Hedwig. Issues, trends and developments in HSM, Online, World Wide Web page of Modern Machine Shop, http://www.mmsonline.com/articles.
- 2.R. Field. High speed machining of dies and molds, Online, World Wide Web page of Tooling University, http://www.toolingu.com.
- 3.M. Loftus. Causes of high-speed machining irregularities, in Proceedings of MoldMaking 2002 Conference, Communication Technologies Inc, Chicago, USA, 2002, pp. 126–142.Google Scholar
- 5.D. Marinac. Smart toolpath for HSMManufacturing Engineering 125(5), 2000.Google Scholar
- 6.V. Pateloup, E. Ducand, C. Lartigue, P. Ray. Pocketing optimization for HSM geometry tool path and interpolation mode influence on dynamic machine tool behaviour, Machine Engineering 3(1), 2003, 375–382.Google Scholar