Identification of Photosynthesis-Related Genes in Rice Using FOX Hunting System
Photosynthesis is one of the most important determinants of crop productivity. Although many studies have been conducted to improve yield, very little progress has been made. In this study, we used rice FOX (Full length cDNA over-expressing) lines that rice full-length cDNAs were over-expressed in Arabidopsis to identify novel photosynthesis-related genes of rice. We have used imaging of chlorophyll fluorescence to screen candidates. To confirm over-expression of transformed cDNAs cause the observed phenotype, we generated transformants overexpressing each cDNA, resulting that eight lines showed the same phenotype as original lines. Isolated candidates could be classified into four categories depending on chlorophyll fluorescence parameters. We analyzed gene expression profile of three candidate lines showing similar photosynthetic characteristics using DNA microarray. We found commonly regulated genes among three candidates, indicating that candidates have both shared and independent influences on gene expression.
KeywordsRice full length cDNA Arabidopsis chlorophyll fluorescence FOX hunting system DNA microarray
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bosco CD, Lezhneva L, Biehl A, Leister D, Strotmann H, Wanner G, Meurer J (2004) Inactivation of the chloroplast ATP synthase γ subunit results in high non-photochemical fluorescence quenching and altered nuclear gene expression in Arabidopsis thaliana. J Biol Chem 279 (2):1060-1069.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Goff SA, Ricke D, Lan TH, Presting G, Wang R, Dunn M, Glazebrook J, Sessions A, Oeller P, Varma H, Hadley D, Hutchison D, Martin C, Katagiri F, Lange BM, Moughamer T, Xia Y, Budworth P, Zhong J, Miguel T, Paszkowski U, Zhang S, Colbert M, Sun WL, Chen L, Cooper B, Park S, Wood TC, Mao L, Quail P, Wing R, Dean R, Yu Y, Zharkikh A, Shen R, Sahasrabudhe S, Thomas A, Cannings R, Gutin A, Pruss D, Reid J, Tavtigian S, Mitchell J, Eldredge G, Scholl T, Miller RM, Bhatnagar S, Adey N, Rubano T, Tusneem N, Robinson R, Feldhaus J, Macalma T, Oliphant A, Briggs S (2002) A draft sequence of the rice genome (Oryza sativa L. ssp. japonica). Science 296 (5565):92-100.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Haldrup A, Lunde C, Scheller HV (2003) Arabidopsis thal-iana plants lacking the PSI-D subunit of photosystem I suffer severe photoinhibition, have unstable photosystem I complexes, and altered redox homeostasis in the chlo-roplast stroma. J Biol Chem 278 (35):33276-33283.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ichikawa T, Nakazawa M, Kawashima M, Iizumi H, Kuroda H, Kondou Y, Tsuhara Y, Suzuki K, Ishikawa A, Seki M, Fujita M, Motohashi R, Nagata N, Takagi T, Shinozaki K, Matsui M (2006) The FOX hunting system: An alternative gain-of-function gene hunting technique. Plant J 48:974-985.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Rice Full-Length cDNA Consortium; National Institute of Agrobiological Sciences Rice Full-Length cDNA Project Team, Foundation of Advancement of International Science Genome Sequencing & Analysis Group, RIKEN (2003) Collection, mapping, and anno-tation of over 28,000 cDNA clones from japonica rice. Science 301 (5631):376-379.Google Scholar