Renewable Energy from Biomass: Solid Biofuels and Bioenergy Technologies
Biomass is a renewable source of energy that can give a special contribution in reducing the use of conventional fuels from oil and in lowering emissions of high carbon dioxide from large coal use, particularly in a wide country such as China. Moreover, the use of biomass as a fuel can help to meet the increasing energy demand of a country with a high rate of economic growth. In this chapter, the discussion is limited to solid bio-fuels as wood, woody and agricultural crops residues, and about sludge and wastewater treatment processes for the production of biogas. The main technologies used to obtain energy from biomass fuels are well known, concerning the fields of direct combustion, and Italy offers a wide number of case-studies that could result in very interesting applications in Chinese rural areas. The solid-biomass gasification and pyrolysis processes are quite new technologies now under investigation, with documented experimental test facilities and study cases, but they are not yet on-the-market technologies.
KeywordsCombustion Fermentation Corn Dust Steam
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Biogas from waste and wastewater treatment (2000). LIOR CD-Rom Collection, Brusselss (Belgium), LIOR International.Google Scholar
- Biomass combustion (2000) LIOR CD-Rom Collection, Brussels (Belgium), LIOR International.Google Scholar
- Biomass gasification (2000) LIOR CD-Rom Collection, Brussels (Belgium), LIOR International.Google Scholar
- Jingjing L., Jinming B. and Overend R., 1998. Assessment of Biomass Resource Availability in China. Beijing, China Environmental Science Press.Google Scholar
- Marzetti P., Braccio G. and Zhi R. Y., 2004. Il progetto “CINA”. Un esempio di collaborazione internazionale nel settore dell’utilizzazione energetica delle biomasse mediante gassificazione. Gestione Energia, 3, pp. 17-23.Google Scholar
- National Bureau of Statistics People’s Republic of China, 2001. From http://www.cpirc.org.cn/en/e5cendata1.htm