Context-Aware Performance Analysis for Efficient Embedded System Design
Performance analysis has many advantages in theory compared to simulation for the validation of complex embedded systems, but is rarely used in practice. To make analysis more attractive, it is critical to calculate tight analysis bounds. This paper shows that advanced performance analysis techniques taking correlations between successive computation or communication requests as well a correlated load distribution into account can yield much tighter analysis bounds. Cases where such correlations have a large impact on system timing are especially difficult to simulate and, hence, are an ideal target for formal performance analysis.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- S. K. Baruah, D. Chen, and A. K. Mok. Static-priority scheduling of multiframe tasks. In Euromicro Conference on Real-Time Systems, June 1999.Google Scholar
- S. Chakraborty, S. Künzli, and L. Thiele. A general framework for analysing system properties in platform-based embedded system designs. In Proc. DATE’03, Munich, Germany, Mar. 2003.Google Scholar
- M. Jersak and R. Ernst. Enabling scheduling analysis of heterogeneous systems with multi-rate data dependencies and rate intervals. In Proceeding 40th Design Automation Conference, Annaheim, CA, June 2003.Google Scholar
- T. Pop, P. Eles, and Z. Peng. Holistic scheduling and analysis of mixed time/event-triggered distributed embedded systems. In Tenth International Symposium on Hardware/Software Codesign (CODES’02), Estes Park, CO, May 2002.Google Scholar
- K. Richter, M. Jersak, and R. Ernst. A formal approach to mpsoc performance verification. IEEE Computer, 36(4), Apr. 2003.Google Scholar
- K. Richter, R. Racu, and R. Ernst. Scheduling analysis integration for heterogeneous multiprocessor SoC. In Proceedings 24th International Real-Time Systems Symposium (RTSS’03), Cancun, Mexico, Dec. 2003.Google Scholar
- K. W. Tindell. Adding time-offsets to schedulability analysis. Technical Report YCS 221, University of York, 1994.Google Scholar