Sediment transport, ripple dynamics and object burial under shoaling waves
A comprehensive study is being conducted with emphasis on establishing laboratory-based physical model for predicting ripple dynamics and scour, burial behavior of bottom objects in oceanic coastal environments. A brief description of this study as well as salient observations and quantitative parameterizations on ripples, scour and burial that resulted from it are presented. Comparisons with field data are also given. The results have important coastal engineering and naval applications related to sediment transport and coastal morphodynamics under shoaling waves that are typical of coastal zone.
KeywordsVortex Migration Beach Burial Liquefaction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bower GR, Richardson MD, Briggs KB, Elmore PA, Braithwaite EF, Bradley J, Griffin S, Wever TF, Luhder R (2006) Measured and predicted burial of cylinders during the Indian Rocks Beach experiment, January–March 2003. IEEE J Oceanic Eng:in press.Google Scholar
- Bower GR, Richardson MD, Briggs KB, Vaughan WC, Kennedy CS, Braithwaite EF, Wever T, Luhder R (2004) Indian rocks beach experiment, January–March 2003. Naval Research Laboratory, Memorandum.Google Scholar
- Faraci C, Foti E, Baglio S (2000) Measurements of sandy bed scour processes in an oscillating flow by using structured light. Measurements 28:159–174.Google Scholar
- Nielsen P (1992) Coastal Bottom Boundary Layers and Sediment Transport. World Scientific, Singapore.Google Scholar
- Sleath JFA (1984) Sea Bed Mechanics. John Wiley and Sons, New York.Google Scholar
- Sumer BM, Fredsoe J (2002) The Mechanics of Scour in the Marine Environment. World Scientific, Singapore.Google Scholar
- Testik FY (2003) Experimental and Theoretical Modelling of Sand-Water-Object Interaction Under Nonlinear Progressive Waves. Ph.D. Dissertation, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ, USA.Google Scholar
- Testik FY, Voropayev SI, Fernando HJS, Balasubramanian S (2006b) Mines burial in the shoaling zone: scaling of laboratory results to oceanic situation. IEEE J Oceanic Eng: in press.Google Scholar
- Zhao Z, Fernando HJS (2006) Numerical simulation of scour around pipelines using an Euler-Euler coupled two phase model. Theor Comp Fluid Dyn:under revision.Google Scholar