EFFECT OF A HAZARDOUS WASTE LANDFILL AREA ON GROUNDWATER QUALITY
1992, uncontrolled landfills in Izmir were closed on the ground that they threat the public health and Harmandalı ý Hazardous Wastes Landfill Area has been put into service by Izmir Metropolitan Municipality. Harmandalı Region, which was selected as a sanitary landfill area, has an area of approximately 900 000 m2 and is located in the border of the city Izmir. Izmir is the third biggest city of Turkey with a population of 3.5 million. In this study, the probable impacts of Harmandalı Sanitary Landfill Area on groundwater quality have been investigated. In order to predict the effect land disposal site, “Computer Model of Two-Dimensional Solute Transport and Dispersion in Groundwater” has been applied to the Harmandalı area by using the available data. The results of the model have been controlled after eight years by groundwater analysis in the area.
KeywordsClay Permeability Porosity Mercury Sludge
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Baba, A., Tokgöz Güneş, S., 1999, İzmir Harmandali Düzenli Atik Depolama Sahasinin yüzeysel ve yeraltisularina etkisi (Impacts of İzmir Harmandali Sanitary Landfill Area on surfacewater and groundwater), 4–5 Haziran, İzmir, İzmir Su Kongresi, pp. 263–275.Google Scholar
- Çoban, S., 1992, An approach to the environmental impact assessment of solid waste disposal plant”, Master Degree Thesis, Advisor: Prof. Dr. E. Erdin, İzmir.Google Scholar
- Hacettepe Üniversitesi Uluslararasi Karst Su Kaynaklari Uygulama ve Araşitirma Merkezi (UKAM), İzmir Harmandali Çöp Depolama Alani zemin araştirmalari raporu, Aralik 1990, Ankara.Google Scholar
- Konikow, L.F., Bredehoeft, J.D., 1984, Computer model of dimensional solute and dispersion in ground water, 2nd. ed., Techniques of Water Resources Investigations of The United States Geological Survey, Washington, Book 7, Chapter C2.Google Scholar
- Management of Hazardous Wastes Regulation, Official Gazette, No: 22387, 1995.Google Scholar
- Oztuna, B., 1993, Evaluation of an Industrial Sludge Discharge Site With Respect to Mobility of Contaminants, DEU, M.Sc. Thesis, Advisor: Prof. Dr. A. Türkman, İzmir.Google Scholar
- Soil Pollution Control Regulation, Official Gazette, No: 24609, 2001.Google Scholar
- Turkish Standards Organization, TSE 266, 1997.Google Scholar
- Water Pollution Control Regulation, Official Gazette, No: 19919, 1988.Google Scholar