Research and Development in Metal Forming Technology at the Technical University of Lisbon
The research and development portfolio of the metal forming group of Instituto Superior Técnico is driven by fundamental topics in the field of computer simulation and by the needs of manufacturing industries. The group was formed in the late 70’s and conducts activities in bulk forming, sheet forming, tube forming and powder forming.
The purpose of this paper is to provide a brief overview of the activities of the metal forming group. The paper is organized around a number of examples that are representative of the activities of the group in the fields of numerical and experimental simulation of forming processes and of technology development and transfer into industrial companies. In what concerns numerical and experimental simulation the paper includes three-dimensional numerical modelling of the closed-die forging of spiders by means of the finite element flow formulation and modelling of the backward extrusion process by means of state-of-the-art meshless approaches. Collaboration with the industry is illustrated by means of selected joint partnerships with the Portuguese Mint House and with an industrial company producing intercoolers for automotives.
Key wordsMetal Forming Numerical Simulation Experimentation Technology Transfer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J. M. C. Rodrigues e P. A. F. Martins, Tecnologia mecânica: Tecnologia da deformação plástica — Vol. I, Escolar Editora, 2005.Google Scholar
- 2.J. M. C. Rodrigues e P. A. F. Martins, Tecnologia mecânica: Tecnologia da deformação plástica — Vol. II, Escolar Editora, 2005.Google Scholar
- 3.M. L. Alves, J. M. C. Rodrigues and P. A. F. Martins, Three-dimensional modelling of forging processes by the finite element flow formulation, Journal of Engineering Manufacture, 218, 1695–1707, 2004.Google Scholar
- 4.Shangwu Xiong and P. A. F. Martins, Numerical solution of bulk metal forming processes by the reproducing kernel particle method, Metal Forming 2006-The 11 th International Conference on Metal Forming, University of Birmingham, U.K., 2006.Google Scholar
- 7.Shangwu Xiong, J. M. C. Rodrigues and P. A. F. Martins, On background cells during the analysis of bulk forming processes by the reproducing kernel particle method, Computational Mechanics, 2005 (submitted).Google Scholar
- 9.E. M. Pimentel, Estudo teórico-experimental do mecanismo de cravação de caixas em permutadores de calor para a indústria automóvel, MSc Thesis, Instituto Superior Técnico, 2006.Google Scholar