THE HISTORY OF EARTHQUAKE ENGINEERING AT THE UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA AT BERKELEY AND RECENT DEVELOPMENTS OF NUMERICAL METHODS AND COMPUTER PROGRAMS AT CSI BERKELEY
The purpose of this paper is to summarize, from a personal viewpoint, some research in structural dynamics within the Department of Civil Engineering at the University of California at Berkeley during the period of 1950 to 1990. The second part of the paper is to present a few recently developed numerical algorithms for dynamic analysis that are required in the design of wind, wave and earthquake resistant structures. These algorithms have been incorporated into the SAP 2000 programs (developed by Computers and Structures, Inc. in Berkeley) and have been used in the analysis of hundreds of large structural systems. This most recent research and development work was conducted since the author’s retirement in 1991 from teaching at the University.
KeywordsEarthquake Engineer Earthquake Engineering Load Vector Nonlinear Element Periodic Loading
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.R. W. Clough and J. Penzien, Dynamics of Structures, Computers and Structures, Inc., 1995 University Avenue, Berkeley, CA, 94704, ISBN 0-923907-50-5, (2003)Google Scholar
- 2.E. L. Wilson, Three Dimensional Static and Dynamic Analysis of Structures, Computers and Structures, Inc., 1995 University Avenue, Berkeley, CA, 94704, ISBN 0-923907-03-3, (2003).Google Scholar
- 3.J. Penzien, EERI Oral History Series, 2004Google Scholar
- 4.E. L. Wilson, SAP A General Structural Analysis Program, Report UCSESM, (September 1970)Google Scholar
- 5.K. J. Bathe and E. L. Wilson, “Large Eigenvalue Problems in Dynamic Analysis”, Proceedings, American Society of Civil Engineers, Journal of the Engineering Mechanics Division, EM6, (December 1972) pp. 1471–1485.Google Scholar
- 6.K. J. Bathe, K. J., E. L. Wilson and F. E. Peterson, “SAP IV – A Structural Analysis Program”, Report EERC 73–11, (June 1973)Google Scholar
- 7.K. J. Bathe, E. L. Wilson and R. H. Iding, “NONSAP–A Structural Analysis Program for Static and Dynamic Response of Nonlinear Systems” UCB/SESM Report No. 74/3, Berkeley, (February 1974).Google Scholar
- 8.E. L. Wilson, M. Yuan and J. Dickens, “Dynamic Analysis by Direct Superposition of Ritz Vectors,” Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, Vol. 10, (1982)Google Scholar
- 9.P. Léger, E. L. Wilson, Clough, R. W. “The Use of Load Dependent Vectors for Dynamic and Earthquake Analysis”. Report UCB/EERC-86/04, Berkeley, (March 1986).Google Scholar