The vapour-liquid interface and stresses in dried bodies
The paper presents a contribution to modelling the problem of vapour-liquid interface receding into dried body and stresses induced by drying of capillary-porous bodies. A complex algorithm comprising the specific mechanisms of drying in the first and second periods of drying is constructed. It enables calculation and drawing of the body temperature and drying curves for the whole drying process and identification of the vapour-liquid interface receding into the body. The drying induced stresses caused by the receding vapour-liquid interface and the non-uniform distribution of moisture content and/or temperature are analyzed. Numerical calculations of the temperature and drying curves and the drying induced stresses are carried out for the example of a finite dimensional kaolin cylinder dried convectively.
KeywordsConvective drying Vapour-liquid interface Drying induced stresses Modelling Numerical calculations
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Hartley, J.G.: Coupled heat and moisture transfer in soils: a review. Adv. Drying 4, 199–248 (1987)Google Scholar
- Kneule, F.: Drying, p. 363. ARKADY, Warszawa (in Polish) (1970)Google Scholar
- Kowalski, S.J.: Theory of Flow, Heat and Diffusion Processes, p. 238. Publishers of Poznańn University of Technology, Pozan (in Polish) (1999)Google Scholar
- Kowalski, S.J., Rybicki, A.: Rate of drying and stresses in the first period of drying. Drying Technol. 18(3), 583–600 (2000)Google Scholar
- Kudra, T., Strumiłło, Cz.: Drying: principles, applications and design. Gordon &Brieach Science Publishers, New York (1986)Google Scholar
- Luikov, A.W.: Theory of Drying, Energy, p. 471 Moscow (in Russin). (1968)Google Scholar
- Milota, M.R., Qinglin, W.: Resolution of the stress and strain components during drying of a softwood. In: Proceedings of the 9th International Drying Symposium, Gold Coast, Australia, August, 1–4, (1994)Google Scholar
- Mujumdar, A.S.: Role of IDS in promoting innovation and global R&D effort in drying technologies. Proceedings of the 14th International Drying Symposium, pp. 22–25. S. Paulo, Brasil (2004)Google Scholar
- Szarawara, J.: Chemical thermodynamics, p. 550 WNT, Warszawa (in Polish) (1985)Google Scholar