A COMPUTATIONAL TOOL BASED ON GENETIC ALGORITHM FOR DETERMINING OPTIMUM SHAPES OF VIBRATING PLANAR AND SPACE TRUSSES
- 1.3k Downloads
This paper deals with the structural optimization of vibrating planar and space trusses. The objective of the present study is to develop a robust and reliable shape optimization tool for vibrating trusses. Natural frequencies are determined using standard finite element matrixdisplacement method. The fundamental concept is to generate structural shapes for trusses in which certain vibration characteristics are improved. The results of comparative studies of the Genetic Algorithm (GA) against other continuous optimization algorithms for truss problems are reported to show the efficiency of the structural optimization.
KeywordsGenetic Algorithm Design Variable Structural Optimization Structural Shape Space Truss
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Al-Khamis M. (1996) Structural Optimization for Static and Free Vibration Conditions Using Genetic and Gradient-Based Algorithms, Ph.D. thesis, University of Wales, Swansea.Google Scholar
- Arora J. S. (1989) Introduction to Optimum Design, McGraw-Hill.Google Scholar
- Langley S. (2003) Genetic Algorithm Focused Comparative Optimization Study for a Broad Scope of Engineering Applications, Ph.D. thesis, University of Wales, Swansea.Google Scholar
- Rao S. (1996) Engineering Optimization, Theory and Practice, John Wiley & Sons.Google Scholar
- Tayşi N. (2005) Analysis and Optimum Design of Structures Under Static and Dynamic Loads, Ph.D. thesis, University of Gaziantep, Gaziantep.Google Scholar
- Vanderplaats G. N., Thanedar P. (1991) A Survey of Discrete Variable Optimization for Structural Design, In Proceeding of the 10th ASCE Congress Conference on Electronic Computation, Indianapolis, Indiana.Google Scholar