Education and Training Needs of Rural Communities: A Situational Analysis of Selected Villages in Fourteen Provinces of Fiji
The purpose of this research project was to conduct a survey of the training needs of people in rural communities of the fourteen provinces in Fiji. The rationale behind this exercise was to take the Fiji Institute of Technology (FIT), a training and education institution, to the homes of this target group, bearing in mind the advent of distance education and learning. However, it was also found that people in most rural communities did not fully understand the role of FIT, so the researchers had an opportunity to market the institute through awareness-raising in the villages. All the participants were grateful for the opportunity to meet and talk to professionals from FIT on various issues. Even very remote villages were among those visited.
KeywordsSugar Income Stake
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Encarta encyclopaedia. 2004. CD-ROM, Microsoft Corporation.Google Scholar
- Fiji. Ministry of Education. 2000. Learning together: directions for education in the Fiji Islands. Report of the Fiji Islands Education Commission. Suva: Government Printer.Google Scholar
- Ocitti, J.P 1990. Is indigenous African pedagogy a real option? Adult education and development, vol. 90, no. 35.Google Scholar
- Plowman, K. 1992. Community groups and empowerment: adult education for a democratic culture. Canberra: Australian Association of Adult and Community Education. (Paper presented at the thirty-second AAACE National Conference, Canberra, 1992.)Google Scholar
- Schoeffel,p. 1986. Non-formal education in the Pacific Islands: an overview. Adult education and development, vol. 26.Google Scholar
- Sharma, A. 2000. Technical and vocational education and training. In: Fiji. Ministry of Education. Learning together: directions for education in the Fiji Islands. Suva: Government Printer.Google Scholar
- Tavola, H. 2000. Education in rural Fiji. In: Fiji. Ministry of Education. Learning together: directions for education in the Fiji Islands. Suva: Government Printer.Google Scholar
- Veramu, J. 1992. Let’s do it our way: a case study of participatory education in a rural Fijian school and community. Suva: Institute of Pacific Studies, University of the South Pacific.Google Scholar
- Veramu, J. 1997. Adult education and community development in the South Pacific. Valelevu, Fiji: The Fiji Adult and Community Education Think-Tank Group.Google Scholar