Knowledge Workforce Development for Computer-Supported Collaborative Work Environments
With the globalization of the economy and its requirement for multi-skilled professionals, the demand for a knowledge workforce is increasing. The presence and the acquisition of a knowledge workforce in any organization is a critical factor for its success. Another important parameter that determines the success of an organization is the use of groupware that affects and facilitates interpersonal or group communication. Computer-based tools supporting collaborative work are becoming crucial elements in organizing the activities of groups of people. The computer-supported collaborative work environments are a response to the growing interest in the design, implementation and use of technical systems (including computing, information and communications technologies—ICTs) that support people working co-operatively.
KeywordsKnowledge Economy Collaborative Work Workforce Development Workforce Planning Group Support System
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Carstensen, P.H.; Schmidt, K. 1999. Computer supported cooperative work: new challenges to systems design. <citeseer.ist.psu.edu/carstensen99 computer.html>
- Dourish, P.; Bellotti, V. 1992. Awareness and coordination in shared workspaces. New York, NY: ACM Press.Google Scholar
- Eseryel, D.; Ganesan, R.; Edmonds, G.S. 2002. Review of computer-supported collaborative work systems. Educational technology and society, vol. 5, no. 2. <ifets.ieee.org/periodical/vol 2 2002/eseryel ganesan.html>
- Gates, B. 2005. The new world of work. (Speech at ninth Annual Microsoft CEO Summit, 19 May 2005, Redmond, Washington, USA.)Google Scholar
- Information Technology Advisory Group. 1999. The knowledge economy. Wellington: Ministry for Information Technology.Google Scholar
- Judy, R.W. 2002. Workforce planning in the knowledge-based economy. (Paper prepared for the seventh Annual Conference on Human Resource Development in a Knowledge-Based Economy of the Emirates Center for Strategic Studies and Research, 11 February 2002, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.)Google Scholar
- Koksal, P.; Cingil, I.; Dogac, A. 1999. A component-based workflow system with dynamic modifications. In: Proceeding of the Next Generation Information Technologies and Systems (NGITS’99). Berlin: Springer.Google Scholar
- Park, M.G. 2006. Shared workspace for computer-supported cooperative work. Quarterly, vol. 33, no. 3.Google Scholar
- Van Der Mast, C. 2001. A course on human-computer interaction design using computer-supported collaborative work. Delft, Netherlands: University of Technology.Google Scholar
- Wilson,p. 1991. Computer supported cooperative work: an introduction. Dordrecht, Netherlands: Kluwer.Google Scholar