CRACK EXTENSION DUE TO CORROSION BY SIGMA-AE AND BEM
Concrete structures suffer from corrosion of reinforcing steel bars due to severe environments. A detailed study on crack extension due to corrosion of reinforcement in concrete is performed. Moment tensor analysis of acoustic emission (AE) can identify cracking kinematics of location, crack-type and crack orientation, by implementing SiGMA code. Visualization system has been developed by using VRML (Virtual Reality Modeling Language). Corrosion cracking was simulated by employing expansive agent in experiments. Nucleation of microcracks was thus identified by SiGMA-AE analysis. By applying the two-domain boundary element method (BEM), crack trajectory in the arbitrary direction was analyzed. Mechanisms of crack extension due to corrosion are investigated, applying the dimensionless stress intensity factors and comparing results by SiGMA-AE and BEM.
KeywordsStress Intensity Factor Acoustic Emission Boundary Element Method Crack Extension Moment Tensor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.K. Y. Kim and W. Sachse, Characterization of AE Signals from Indentation Cracks in Glass, Progress in Acoustic Emission II, JSNDI, 163–172 (1984).Google Scholar
- 3.N. N. Hsu and S. C. Hardy, Experiments in AE Waveform Analysis for Characterization of AE Sources, Sensors and Structures, Elastic Waves and Nondestructive Testing of Materials, AMD-29, 85–106 (1978).Google Scholar
- 4.M. Ohtsu, Simplified Moment Tensor Analysis and Unified Decomposition of Acoustic Emission Source : Application to In Situ Hydrofracturing Test,” Journal of Geophysical Research, 96(B4), 6211–6221 (1991).Google Scholar
- 5.M. Ohtsu and M. Shigeishi, Three-Dimensional Visualization of Moment Tensor Analysis by SiGMAAE, e-Journal of Nondestructive Testing, 7(9) (2002).Google Scholar
- 6.A. Carpinteri, Mechanical Damage and Crack Growth in Concrete (Martinus Nijhoff Pub., 1986).Google Scholar
- 7.F. Erdogan and G. C. Sih, On the Crack Extension in Plates under Plane Loading and Transverse Shear, J. of Basic Eng., 12, 519–527 (1963).Google Scholar
- 8.F. A. K. M. Uddin and M. Ohtsu, Application of AE to Fracture Toughness and Crack Analysis by BEM in Concrete, e-Journal of Nondestructive Testing, 7(9) (2002).Google Scholar