Mechanical Behaviour and Properties
The mechanical behaviour of composite specimens made from two mechanically incompatible natural building stones is the subject of the present paper. Attention is focused on a particular case, namely the porous oolitic limestone of Kenchreae used in the erection of the monuments at the Epidaurean Asklepieion in northern Peloponnesus and one of its candidate substitutes, the Alfopetra of Crete. The study is carried out experimentally. It is concluded that the mechanical properties of the composite specimen, considered as a whole, are strongly affected by the inclination of the adhesion plane and the dependence can be described by a non-monotonous relation. In addition strong strain discontinuities are recorded in the vicinity of the adhesion plane, which are responsible for cracking initiation in either of the two materials.
KeywordsInterface Inclination Axial Stress Axial Strain Peak Stress Strain Energy Density
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.N. L. Ninis and S. K. Kourkoulis, in: Proceedings of the 6th National Congress on Mechanics, edited by E. C. Aifantis and A. N. Kounadis, (Giahoudi & Giapouli Press, Thessaloniki, Hellas, 2001), I, pp. 348–356.Google Scholar
- 2.S. K. Kourkoulis, I. Vardoulakis and N. L. Ninis, in: Proceedings of the International Congress on Geology and Geotechnics in the Preservation of Historical and Cultural Heritage, edited by G. Lollino (CNDCI Publishing, Tourin, Italy, 2000), pp. 831–839.Google Scholar
- 3.S. K. Kourkoulis, N. L. Ninis, and V. Latsiou, in: Proceedings of the International Conference on the Influence of Traditional Mathematics and Mechanics on Modern Science and Technology, edited by G. C. Sih and C. P. Spyropoulos (Eptalofos S.A., Athens, Hellas, 2004), pp. 317–325.Google Scholar
- 6.S. K. Kourkoulis and N. L. Ninis, in: Proc. 34th Conf. on Solid Mechanics (Institute of Fundamental Technological Research of the Polish Academy of Sciences, Warsaw, Poland 2002), pp.149–150.Google Scholar
- 7.S. K. Kourkoulis, N. L. Ninis and V. N. Bakolas, in Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Experimental Mechanics, edited by C. Papalettere, (Mc Graw Hill, New York, 2004) pp. 12.3–222/1–8.Google Scholar
- 8.S. K. Kourkoulis, in Proceedings of the 7th National Congress on Mechanics, edited by A. Kounadis, C. Providakis, G. Exadaktylos, (HSTAM & Technical University of Crete, 2004) II, pp. 1–8.Google Scholar