MAGNETIC REPEAT STATION NETWORK IN ITALY AND MAGNETIC MEASUREMENTS AT HELIPORTS AND AIRPORTS
The Italian Magnetic Network is composed of 114 repeat stations and its last complete measurement took place in the period 1999-2001, i.e. centred at epoch 2000. Mathematical models and maps were produced for declination, horizontal and vertical components, together with the total intensity of the geomagnetic field. By the end of 2005 the Magnetic Network measurement will be repeated again completely. To the Italian sites have been added also 11 other stations in Albania. Those were measured in 2004 with the collaboration of the Albanian Academy of Science and the University of Tirana. Together with this activity also another one dedicated to airports or heliports measurements has been undertaken. This kind of measurements has the objective to provide absolute magnetic knowledge of the magnetic declination in airports and heliport swinging roses where it is possible then to calibrate aircraft compasses.
KeywordsTransportation Geochemistry Azimuth Geophysics
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Coticchia A., Dominici G., De Santis A., Di Ponzio A., Meloni A., Pierozzi M., Sperti, M., 2001. Italian Magnetic Network and Geomagnetic field maps of Italy at year 2000.0, Bollet. Geodes. Scie Aff., IV, 261–291. (with 4 maps 1/2.000.000 and CD-ROM).Google Scholar
- Cafarella L., De Santis A., Meloni A., 1992. Il catalogo geomagnetico storico italiano, Publ. ING, 160 pp.Google Scholar
- De Santis A., O. Battelli, D.J. Kerridge, 1990. Spherical cap harmonic analysis applied to regional field modelling for Italy, J. Geomag. & Geoelectr, 42, 1019–1036.Google Scholar
- Duka B., Gaya-Piqué L.R., De Santis A., Bushati S., Chiappini M., Dominici G., 2004. A geomagnetic Reference Model for Albania, Southern Italy and Ionian Sea from 1990 to 2005, Annals of Geophysics, 47, 1609–1615Google Scholar
- Meloni A., Battelli O., De Santis A., Dominici G., 1994. The 1990.0 magnetic repeat station survey and normal reference fields for Italy, Annali di Geofisica, Vol.XXXVII, 5, 949–967.Google Scholar