FTIR Studies of the Primary Electron Donor, P700
Over the last two decades FTIR difference spectroscopy has emerged as a prominent technique to investigate the electronic structure and the bonding interactions of P700, the primary electron donor of photosystem I. In this chapter, the advances in the field during this period are reviewed and discussed in the light of the structural model of P700 derived from X-ray crystallography. The effect on the FTIR difference spectra of mutations of the axial ligands of the chlorophyll molecules in P700 as well as of amino acid residues in hydrogen bonding interaction with the carbonyl groups of P700 is analyzed.
KeywordsFTIR Study Axial Ligand Differential Signal Primary Electron Donor FTIR Difference Spectrum
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Breton J, Nabedryk E, Allen JP and Williams JC (1997) Electrostatic influence of QA reduction on the IR vibrational mode of the 10-a ester C=O of HA demonstrated by mutations at residues Glu L104 and Trp L100 in reaction centers from Rhodobacter sphaeroides. Biochemistry 36: 4515–4525PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Iwaki M, Andrianambinintsoa S, Rich P and Breton J (2002) Attenuated total reflection Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy of redox transitions in photosynthetic reaction centers: comparison of perfusion- and light-induced difference spectra. Spectrochim Acta A 58: 1523–1533CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Leibl W, Brettel K, Nabedryk E, Breton J, Rochaix J-D and Redding K (1998) Effect of PsaB-His656 → Leu mutation on optical and infrared difference spectra of P700 photooxidation. In: Garab G (ed) Photosynthesis: Mechanisms and Effects, Vol I, pp 595–598. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, The NetherlandsGoogle Scholar
- Li Y, Lucas M-G, Konovalova, T, Abbott B, MacMillan F, Petrenko A, Sivakumar V, Wang R, Hastings G, Gu F, van Tol J, Brunel L-C, Timkovich R, Rappaport F and Redding K (2004) Mutations of the putative hydrogen-bond donor to P700 of photosystem I. Biochemistry 43: 12634–12647PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Mäntele W (1993) Infrared vibrational spectroscopy of the photosynthetic reaction center. In: Deisenhofer H and Norris JR (eds) The Photosynthetic Reaction Center, Vol II, pp 239–283. Academic Press, San DiegoGoogle Scholar
- Mäntele W, Wollenweber A, Rashwan F, Heinze J, Nabedryk E, Berger G and Breton J (1988) Fourier transform infrared spectroelectrochemistry of the bacteriochlorophyll a anion radical. Photochem Photobiol 47: 451–455Google Scholar
- Nabedryk E (1996) Light-induced Fourier transform infrared difference spectroscopy of the primary electron donor in photosynthetic reaction centers. In: Mantsch HH and Chapman D (eds) Infrared Spectroscopy of Biomolecules, pp 39–81. Willey-Liss, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Pantelidou M, Chitnis P and Breton J (2004) FTIR spectroscopy of Synechocystis 6803 mutants affected on the hydrogen bonds to the carbonyl groups of the PsaA chlorophyll of P700 supports a model of extensive delocalization of the charge in P700+. Biochemistry 43: 8380–8390PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Wang R, Sivakumar V, Li Y, Redding K and Hastings G (2003) Mutation induced modulation of hydrogen bonding to P700 studied using FTIR difference spectroscopy. Biochemistry 42: 988–9897Google Scholar