The function of the eukaryotic cell depends on the regulated and reciprocal interaction between its different compartments. This includes not only the exchange of energy equivalents but also information. Most information exchange flows from the nucleus to the organelles, because the large majority of genes encoding proteins with organellar function are encoded in the nucleus.
KeywordsChloroplast Development Nuclear Gene Expression Tetrapyrrole Biosynthesis Plastid Signal Photosynthetic Gene Expression
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Carol P, Stevenson D, Bisanz C, Breitenbach J, Sandmann G, Mache R, Coupland G and Kuntz M (1999) Mutations in the Arabidopsis gene IMMUTANS cause a variegated phenotype by inactivating a chloroplast terminal oxidase associated with phytoene desaturation. Plant Cell 11: 57-68CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Estevez JM, Cantero A, Romero C, Kawaide H, Jimenez LF, Kuzuyama T, Seto H, Kamiya Y and Leon P (2000) Anal-ysis of the expression of CLA1, a gene that encodes the 1-deoxyxylulose 5-phosphate synthase of the 2-C-methyl-D-erythritol-4-phosphate pathway in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiol 124: 95-104CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Hedtke B, Borner T and Weihe A (1997) Mitochondrial and chloroplast phage-type RNA polymerases in Arabidopsis. Sci-ence 277: 809-811Google Scholar
- Moore M, Harrison MS, Peterson EC, Henry R, Sundberg E, Slagter JG, Fridborg I, Cleary SP, Robinson C, Coupland G, Long D, Martin M, Swinburne J and Puangsomlee P (2000) Chloroplast Oxa1p homolog albino3 is required for post-translational integration of the light harvesting chlorophyll-binding protein into thylakoid membranes. J Biol Chem 275: 1529-1532CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Streatfield SJ, Weber A, Kinsman EA, Hausler RE, Li J, Post-Beittenmiller D, Kaiser WM, Pyke KA, Flugge UI and Chory J (1999) The phosphoenolpyruvate/phosphate translocator is required for phenolic metabolism, palisade cell development, and plastid-dependent nuclear gene expression. Plant Cell 11: 1609-1622CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Sundberg E, Slagter JG, Fridborg I, Cleary SP, Robinson C and Coupland G (1997) ALBINO3, an Arabidopsis nuclear gene essential for chloroplast differentiation, encodes a chloroplast protein that shows homology to proteins present in bacterial membranes and yeast mitochondria. Plant Cell 9: 717-730CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Terzagi WB and Cashmore AR (1995) Light regulated transcrip-tion. Annu Rev Plant Physiol Plant Mol Biol 40: 211-233Google Scholar