A Perspective on North American Natural Disasters
Part of the Advances in Natural and Technological Hazards Research book series (NTHR, volume 21)
KeywordsNatural Disaster Geographic Information System Forest Fire Storm Surge United Nations Development Program
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Anderson, J., & Downing, T. (1981). Four communities under ash after Mount St. Helens. Monograph No. 34. Boulder: University of Colorado.Google Scholar
- Archer, P. (1970). The urban snow hazard. Master of Arts thesis. Toronto: University of Toronto.Google Scholar
- Arnold, J. L. (1988). The evolution of the 1936 Flood Control Act. Fort Belvoir, VA: United States Army Corps of Engineers.Google Scholar
- Barnes, M. (1987). Killer in the bush: The great fires of Northeastern Ontario. Erin, Ontario: The Boston Mills Press.Google Scholar
- Centro Nacional de Prevencion de Desastres. (2004). CENAPRED home page. Retrieved on February 20, 2004, from the World Wide Web: http://www.cenapred.unam.mx/.
- Dacy, D. C., & Kunreuther, H. (1969). The economics of natural disasters: Implications for federal policy. New York: The Free Press.Google Scholar
- Daines, G. E. (1991). Planning, training and exercising. In T. E. Drabek & G. J. Hoetmer (Eds.), Emergency management: principles and practice for local government (pp. 161-200). Washington, DC: International City/County Management Association.Google Scholar
- Environment Canada. (2004). Hurricane Juan, September 28 and 29, 2003. Retrieved on February 20, 2004 from the World Wide Web: http://www.ns.ec.gc.ca/weather/hurricane/juan/.
- EQE International. (1992). Hurricanes Andrew and Iniki 1992. San Francisco: EQE International.Google Scholar
- Fitzpatrick, C., & O'Brien, P. W. (1992). Social response to the first `A' alert of the Parkfield Earthquake prediction experiment. Quick Response Research Report 54. Boulder: University of Colorado.Google Scholar
- Hamilton, R. M., & Hooke, W.H. (1995). Natural disasters reduction: A plan for the United States. Unpublished paper prepared for Canada-U.S.-Mexico Conference.Google Scholar
- Hewitt, K., & Burton, I. (1957). The hazardousness of a place. Toronto: University of Toronto Press.Google Scholar
- Hughes, P. (1990). The great Galveston hurricane. Weather Wise 43, no. 4 (August): pp. 190-198.Google Scholar
- Kartez, J. D. (1982). Emergency planning implications for local governments: Response to Mount St. Helens. Pullman: Washington State University Environmental Research Center.Google Scholar
- Kusky, T. M. (2003). Geological hazards: A sourcebook. Westport, CT: Greenwood Press.Google Scholar
- May, B. K. (1983). Tsunami damage and factors influencing risk Port Alberni, B.C. Emergency Planning Digest 10, no. 2(April-June): pp. 8-10.Google Scholar
- Mockert, D. (2003). Homeland security preparation aids tornado emergency response. GeoWorld. 16, no. 4: pp. 34-36.Google Scholar
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. (2004). NOAA Homepage. Retrieved on February 20, 2004, from the World Wide Web: http://www.noaa.gov/.
- Natural Resources Canada. (2004). Saguenay flood 1996. Retrieved on February 20, 2004, from the World Wide Web: http://www.ccrs.nrcan.gc.ca/ccrs/rd/apps/hydro/saguenay/saguen_e.html.
- Park, K. (2003). The world almanac and book of facts 2003. New York: World Almanac.Google Scholar
- Pearce, L. (2003). Disaster management and community planning, and public participation: how to achieve sustainable hazard mitigation. Natural Hazards 28. Nos. 2-3.Google Scholar
- Perrow, C. (1984). Normal accidents: Living with high-risk technologies. New York: Basic Books.Google Scholar
- Quarantelli, E. L. (1991). More and worse disasters in the future: The social factors involved. Newark, NJ: Disaster Research Center.Google Scholar
- Scanlon, J. (1975). Sydney - something to blow about. Emergency Planning Digest, 2, no. 2: pp. 3-5.Google Scholar
- Scanlon, J. (1994). The role of EOCs in emergency management: A comparison of Canadian and American experience. International Journal of Mass Emergenices and Disasters 12, no. 1: pp. 51-75.Google Scholar
- Scanlon, J. (1998). Sharing the lessons learned: Ice storm 1998. Ottawa: Regional Municipality of Ottawa CarletonGoogle Scholar
- Scanlon, J., & Conlin, D. (1984). The Pemberton Valley floods: BC’s tiniest village responds to a major emergency. Ottawa: Emergency Communications Research Unit.Google Scholar
- Scanlon, J., & Padgham, M. (1980). The Peel Regional Police Force and the Mississauga evacuation. Ottawa: Canadian Police College.Google Scholar
- Scanlon, T. J. (1992). Disaster preparedness: Some myths and misconceptions. Easingwold, England: The Emergency Planning College.Google Scholar
- Settle, A. K. (1986). Legal issues in emergency management: The Coalinga earthquake. In M.T. Charles and J.C.K. Kim (Eds.), Crisis management: A casebook (pp. 249-264).Springfield, IL: Charles C. Thomas.Google Scholar
- Showalter, P. S., & Myers, M. F. (1992). Natural disasters as the cause of technological emergencies: A review of the decade 1980-1989. Boulder: University of Colorado.Google Scholar
- Smith, D. T., & Reed, D. B. (1990). A centennial survey of American floods. NOAA Technical Memorandum NWS SR-133. Fort Worth, TX: NOAA/National Weather Service Southern Region.Google Scholar
- U.S. Geological Survey (2004). Earthquakes. Retrieved on February 20, 2004, from the World Wide Web: http://earthquakes.usgs.gov/.
- United Nations Development Program. (2003). Health action in crisis: Natural disaster profiles. United Nations Development Program. Retrieved March 31, 2004, from the World Wide Web: http://www.who.int/disasters/tg.cfm?doctypeid=32.
- Wigen, S. O. (1964). Tsunami of March 27-29, 1964, West Coast of Canada. Ottawa: Department of Mines and Technical Surveys.Google Scholar
- Zeggil, F. (1989). Province of Manitoba forest fire emergency 1989 evacuation operations. Winnipeg: Manitoba Emergency Measures Organization.Google Scholar
© Springer 2007