Use of Disease Forecasting Models for Control of Onion Downy Mildew in New Zealand
Onion downy mildew caused by (Peronospora destructor (Berk.) Casp. Ex Berk) can be responsible for large production losses in some years in onion-growing areas in the North Island of New Zealand. Losses arise when damage to foliage results in small size and poor storage quality of onion bulbs (Chupp and Sherf, 1960). The severity of disease is dependent on weather conditions and locality, with severity increasing in wet seasons (Fullerton et al., 1986; Wright, 1992).
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Beresford R.M., Salinger M.J., Bruce P.E., Brook P.J. (1989) Frequency of infection periods for Venturia inaequalis in New Zealand and implications for fungicide use. In Proceedings of 42nd N.Z. Weed and Pest Control Conference, pp. 159–164.Google Scholar
- Chupp C., Sherf A.F. (1960) Onion Diseases. In Vegetable Diseases and their Control, The Ronald Press Company, New York, USA, pp. 375–411.Google Scholar
- Fullerton R.A., Stewart A., Hale C.N., Wood R.J. (1986) Diseases on onions in New Zealand. In Proceedings of Agronomy Society of NZ, 16: 111–114.Google Scholar
- Gunn B. (1991) Downy mildew: the disease and its management in onions in Australia. Onions Australia 8: 25–26.Google Scholar
- Howard R.J., Garland J.A., Seaman W.L. (1994) Diseases and Pests of Vegetable Crops in Canada: an Illustrated Compendium. The Canadian Phytopathological Society and the Entomological Society of Canada.Google Scholar
- Mukerji K.G. (1975) Peronospora destructor. CMI Descriptions of Pathogenic Fungi and Bacteria No. 456.Google Scholar
- Schwartz H.F. (1995) Downy Mildew. In Compendium of Onion and Garlic Diseases, H. F. Schwartz, S. K. Mohan, eds. APS Press, Minnesota, USA, pp. 442–444.Google Scholar
- Viranyi F. (1981) Downy mildew of onion. In The Downy Mildews, D M Spencer, ed., Academic Press, London, UK, pp. 461–472.Google Scholar
- de Visser C.L.M. (1998) Development of a downy mildew advisory model based on downcast. European Journal of Plant Pathology 104: 993–943.Google Scholar
- Whiteman S.A., Beresford R.M. (1998) Evaluation of onion downy mildew disease risk in New Zealand using meteorological forecasting criteria. In Proceedings of the 51st New Zealand Plant Protection Conference, 51: 117–122.Google Scholar
- Wright P.J (1992) Downy Mildew. Commercial Grower 47: 20.Google Scholar
- Wright P.J., Chynoweth R.W., Beresford R.M., Henshall W.R. (2002) Comparisons of strategies for timing protective and curative fungicides for control of onion downy mildew (Peronospora destructor) in New Zealand. In Proceedings of British Crop Protection Council Conference 2002, pp. 207–212.Google Scholar