High-Resolution Simulations of Clusters of Galaxies
Recently, high-resolution Chandra observations revealed many complex processes operating in the intracluster medium such as cold fronts, cooling flows with puzzling properties, and subsonic turbulent motions. The detailed studies of these processes can provide new insights into the cluster gas properties and cluster evolution. Using very high-resolution Adaptive Mesh Refinement (AMR) gasdynamics simulations of clusters forming in the CDM universes, we investigate structural evolution of the intracluster gas and the role of dynamical (e.g., mergers) and physical (e.g., cooling, star formation, stellar feedback) processes operating during cluster evolution. In particular, we use the simulations to investigate the structure and dynamical properties of cold fronts. We also discuss the internal turbulent motions of cluster gas induced by mergers. Finally, we present preliminary results from an ongoing program to carry out a series of simulations that include cooling, star formation, stellar feedback, and metal enrichment and discuss implications for the cluster observables.
Keywordscosmology: theory intergalactic medium methods: numerical galaxies: clusters: general instabilities-turbulence-X-rays galaxies: clusters
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Durret, Lima, Neto, G. B., Forman, W., and Churazov, E. (2003). An xmm-newton view of the extended ”filament” near the cluster of galaxies abell 85. accepted for publication in A&A(astro-ph/0303486). Google Scholar
- Forman, W., Jones, C., Markevitch, A., Vikhlinin, A., and Churazov, E. (2002). Galaxy clusters with chandra. (astro-ph/0207165). Google Scholar
- Kravtsov, A. V. (1999). High-resolution simulations of structure formation in the universe. Ph.D. Thesis. Google Scholar
- Markevitch, M., Ponman, T. J., Nulsen, P. E. J., Bautz, M. W., Burke, D. J., David, L. P., Davis, D., Donnelly, R. H., Forman, W. R., Jones, C., Kaastra, J., Kellogg, E., Kim, D., Kolodziejczak, J., Mazzotta, P., Pagliaro, A., Patel, S., Van Speybroeck, L., Vikhlinin, A., Vrtilek, J., Wise, M., and Zhao, P. (2000). Chandra observation of abell 2142: Survival of dense subcluster cores in a merger. ApJ, 541:542–549.ADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Markevitch, M., Vikhlinin, A., and Forman, W. R. (2002). A high resolution picture of the intracluster gas. To appear in ASP Conference Series, (astro-ph/0208208). Google Scholar
- Nagai, D. and Kravtsov, A. V. (2003). Cold fronts in cdm clusters. ApJ, in press (astro-ph/ 0206469).Google Scholar
- Nagai, D., Kravtsov, A. V., and Kosowsky, A. (2003). Effects of internal flows on sunyaevzel’dovich measurements of cluster peculiar velocities. ApJ, in press (astro-ph/0208308).Google Scholar
- Sun, M. and Murray, S. S. (2002). Chandra view of the dynamically young cluster of galaxies a1367 i. small-scale structures. To appear in ApJ, Vol 576, 2002, (astro-ph/0206255).Google Scholar