Non-Thermal Emission from Early-Type Binaries
In this chapter, I review the properties of highenergy particles in the stellar winds of hot early-type stars. Relativistic electrons are respon-sible for the synchrotron radio emission observed from a subsample of these stars. Most of the objects in the latter category are found to be binaries and the collision between the stellar winds of the binary components is thought to play a crucial role in the acceleration of the relativistic electrons. The interplay between these high-energy electrons and the intense stellar radiation field could produce a substantial nonthermal emission at X-ray arid -γ-ray energies through inverse Compton scattering. Other mechanisms, such as π 0 decay might also contribute to the production of nonthermal emission from hot stars. These various effects could possibly account for some of the yet unidentified EGRET sources found to be correlated with OB associations in our Galaxy. Finally, I review recent results from XMM-Newton observations and dis-cuss the prospects of forthcoming γ-ray observations with INTEGRAL arid GLAST.
KeywordsSpectral Index Radio Emission Relativistic Electron Stellar Wind Inverse Compton
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Benaglia, P., & Romero, G.E. 2003, A&A, 399, 1121Google Scholar
- Gies, D.R., Hartkopf, W.I., Mason, B.D., Bagnuolo, W.G.Jr., ten Brummelaar, T., & McAlister, H.A. 1998, in Boulder-Munich II: Properties of Hot Luminous Stars, ed. I.D. Howarth, ASP Conf. Series, 131, 382Google Scholar
- Lebedev, M.G., & Myasnikov, A.V. 1988, in Numerical Methods in Aerodynamics, eds. V.M. Paskonov & G.S. Roslyakov, Moscow State University Press, Moscow, 3Google Scholar
- Longair, M.S. 1992, High Energy Astrophysics, Vol. 1: Particles, Photons and their Detection, Cambridge University PressGoogle Scholar
- Mücke, A., & Pohl, M. 2002, in Interacting Winds from Massive Stars, eds. A.F.J. Moffat & N. St-Louis, ASP Conf. Series, 260, 355Google Scholar
- Rauw, G., Vreux, J.-M., Antokhin, I.I., et al. 2003, in New Visions of the X-ray Universe in the XMM-Newton and Chandra Era, ed. F. Jansen, ESA SP-488, in pressGoogle Scholar
- Reimer, A. 2003, in Proceedings of the 28th International Cosmic Ray Conference, in pressGoogle Scholar
- Williams, P.M. 1996, in Radio Emission from the Stars and the Sun, eds. A.R. Taylor & J.M. Paredes, ASP Conf. Series, 93, 15Google Scholar
- Williams, P.M. 2002 in Interacting Winds from Massive Stars, eds. A.F.J. Moffat & N. St-Louis, ASP Conf. Series, 260, 311Google Scholar