Marathwada University was established as a teaching and affiliating university at Aurangabad by an Act of the Bombay legislature (Act No. 39 of 1958) that received the assent of the Governor of Bombay on 5 May 1958. The territorial jurisdiction of the university extends over the administrative division of the former Bombay, and later Maharashtra, State, known as the Marathwada Division, comprising the five districts of Aurangabad, Parbhani, Nanded, Bhir, and Osmanabad, covering an area of 26,948 square miles, and with a population of 5,300,000, according to the census of 1951.1 Before the reorganization of the states of India in 1956, this area formed a part of Hyderabad State, and the colleges in the area were affiliated to Osmania University at Hyderabad in the Deccan. On 1 May 1960, the Marathwada area became a part of the new State of Maharashtra, on the division of the former bilingual State of Bombay into the states of Maharashtra and Gujarat. Marathwada University was the seventh university to be established in the bilingual State of Bombay.
KeywordsModern World Administrative Office Executive Council Affiliate College Territorial Jurisdiction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.