Material Behaviour and Limits of Cracking in Powder Preform Forging
This paper is a report of an investigation into the characteristics and limitations of lateral flow during the hot forging of powder preforms which have been pressed, sintered and forged between flat-dies under various conditions. The variables involved in this work were preform geometry, initial density, sintering and forging temperature, forging speed, friction condition and final density. Both the high speed Petro-Forge and a crank press were used. The cracking tendencies during the forging of a spur gear was also investigated. Comparisons between a theoretical model of densification and experimental results have been made.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.J. B. MARX, R. DAVIES and T. L. GUEST (1971) Some Considerations of the Hot Forging of Powder Preforms, Proc. 11th Int. Mach. Tool Pes. Res. Conf. Pergamon, p. 729.Google Scholar
- 5.J. B. MARX (1971) The Forging of Powder Preforms, Ph.D. Thesis Birmingham University.Google Scholar
- 7.R. K. VINYCOMBE and F. E. MARTYN (1956) Design of Capacitance Displacement Transducers, Instrument Practice, p. 437.Google Scholar
- 9.H. A. KUHN and C. L. DOWNEY (1974) How Flow and Fracture Affect Design of Preforms for Powder Forging, Int. J. of Powder Met. and Powder Tech., 10, 1, p. 59.Google Scholar
- 10.G. BROCKSTIEGEL and H. OLSEN (1971) Processing Parameters in the Hot Forming of Powder Preforms, Powder Met. Conf. Suppl., Pt. 1, p. 127.Google Scholar
- 11.T. A. DEAN (1971) A Preliminary Warm Forging Essay, Proc. 11th Int. Mach. Tool Des. Res. Conf. Pergamon, p. 779.Google Scholar
- 13.A. T. MALE and M. G. COCKROFT (1964–65) A Method for the Determination of Friction under Conditions of Bulk Plastic Deformation, J. Inst. Metals., 93, p. 38.Google Scholar