The island was settled by people of African and Indonesian origin when it was visited by the Portuguese explorer, Diego Diaz, in 1500. The island was unified under the Imérina monarchy between 1797 and 1861. A French protectorate was established in 1895. Madagascar became a French colony on 6 Aug. 1896 and achieved independence on 26 June 1960.
KeywordsPresidential Election Parliamentary Election Legal Tender High State Authority Free Primary Education
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Banque des Données de l’Etat. Bulletin Mensuel de Statistique Google Scholar
- Allen, P. M., Madagascar. Boulder (CO), 1995Google Scholar
- Brandt, H. and Brown, M., Madagascar. [Bibliography] ABC-Clio, Oxford and Santa Barbara (CA), 1993Google Scholar
- National Statistical Office: Institut National de la Statistique (INSTAT), BP 485 Anosy, Antananarivo 101.Google Scholar
- Website (French only): http://www.cite.mg/instat/index.htm