The War at Home: Identity Versus Values
In the fall of 2003, I corresponded with a colleague in the United Kingdom about how the war with Iraq had hurt the United States’ image throughout the world. We discussed the dangers of isolating a superpower, and I paraphrased Bernard Lewis, saying that the world could ill afford an “American rage” brought about by threats to its citizens’ safety and identity. My friend’s response chilled me: “Aren’t we seeing that right now?” he asked.
KeywordsEurope American Identity Turkey Egypt Nigeria
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.See Frank Louis Rusciano, “Near and Distant Mirrors: International Media Perspectives on World Opinion after September 11, 2001,” in Framing Terrorism: The News Media, the Government, and the Public, ed. Pippa Norris, Montague Kern, and Marion Just (New York: Routledge, 2003), pp. 159–179.Google Scholar
- 6.See, for instance, Frank Louis Rusciano and Bosah Ebo, “National Consciousness, International Image, and the Construction of Identity,” in Rusciano, World Opinion and the Emerging International Order (Westport, CT: Praeger, 1998);Google Scholar
- and Rusciano, “The Construction of National Identity—A 23-Nation Study,” Political Research Quarterly 56, no. 3 (September 2003): 361–366.Google Scholar
- 11.Benjamin R. Barber, Fear’s Empire: War, Terrorism, and Democracy (New York: W. W. Norton and Company, 2003), p. 62.Google Scholar
- 19.Pippa Norris and Ronald Inglehart, “Public Opinion among Muslims and the West,” in Framing Terrorism: The News Media, Government, and the Public, ed. Pippa Norris, Montague Kern, and Marion Just (New York: Routledge, 2003), pp. 203–228.Google Scholar
- 30.Benjamin R. Barber, Fear’s Empire: War, Terrorism, and Democracy (New York: W. W. Norton and Company, 2003), p. 49. Garry Wills made a similar argument when describing Reagan’s appeal as president in Reagan’s America: Innocents at Home (New York: Penguin Books, 2000).Google Scholar
- 31.Sidney Verba and Gabriel Almond, The Civic Culture (Boston: Little, Brown, 1965).Google Scholar