The GCC States: Internal Dynamics and Foreign Policies
Throughout history, the Arabian Gulf region has been an area of contention among various aggressive international powers, which have sought to control this strategic location to safeguard their own vital interests. Alexander the Great was the first to realize the strategic value of the Gulf for the preservation of his vast empire. After conquering Egypt, he reportedly declared: “I shall never be certain of my army’s security in Egypt and the Mediterranean basin as long as the Persians have extended their domination to the Gulf region.”1 The Macedonian emperor’s pronouncement marked the beginning of the international struggle for the Gulf area, which continues at the dawn of the twenty-first century.
KeywordsSaudi Arabia Foreign Policy United Arab Emirate Gulf Cooperation Council Gulf Region
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Dawlat al-Imarat al-Arabiyyah al-Muttahidah, Al-Kitab al-Sanawi [United Arab Emirates Yearbook], Abu Dhabi, UAE: Ministry of Foreign Affairs, 1972, p. 94.Google Scholar
- 2.Muhammad al-Sayyid al-Said Idris, Iglim al-Khali [The Gulf Region], Beirut: Markaz Dirasat alWandah al-Arabiyyah, 1999, p. 162.Google Scholar
- 3.Abdallah al-Nafisi, Majlis al-Taawun al-Khali [The Gulf Cooperation Council], London: Ta-Ha Press, 1982, pp. 16–17.Google Scholar
- 5.R. Hrair Dekmejian, “Prospects for the Growth and Influence of the Gulf Cooperation Council,” Washington, D.C., 1985, pp. 58–77.Google Scholar
- 7.Nisrin Murad Taqi, AI-Ittihad (Abu Dhabi), 20 February 2000, p. 8.Google Scholar
- 9.Riad Najib El-Rayyes, Riyah al-ShamalAl-Saudiyyah wal-Khalij teal-Arab fiAlam al-Tisinat [North Wind: Saudi Arabia, the Gulf and the Arabs in the Nineties], London: Riad El-Rayyes Books Ltd., 1997, p. 60.Google Scholar
- 13.R. Hrair Dekmejian, Islam in Revolution, 2nd edition, Syracuse: Syracuse University Press, 1995, p. 159.Google Scholar
- 20.Rawhi Abeidoh, “Gulf council states discuss rapid deployment force,” Reuters, December 30, 2000.Google Scholar
- 21.Suleiman Khalidi, “Arab summit, split on Iraq, backs Palestinians,” Reuters, March 28, 2001.Google Scholar
- 22.Muhammad Saleh Al-Musfir, “Security Challenges in the Gulf Cooperation Council,” Majallat Kulliyat al-Idarah wal-Iqtisad, University of Qatar, 1998, pp. 10–15.Google Scholar
- 24.R. Hrair Dekmejian, “The Saudi Consultative Council,” The Middle East Journal 52:2, spring 1998, pp. 204–218Google Scholar
- see also Amir Talal Al Saud in Al-Quds al-Arabi, 27 March 2000, p. 7.Google Scholar