Refab Four: Beatles for Sale in the Age of Music Video
The millennium approaches, and we have witnessed the second coming — of the Beatles. The group as a whole has been resurrected (after a fashion) and, in particular, John Lennon — he who said the Beatles were more popular than Christ and who sang ‘they’re gonna crucify me’.
KeywordsMarketing Arena Ghost Tray Dock
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Attallah, Paul (1987) ‘Music Television’, in Gareth Sansom (ed.), Watching All the Music: Rock Video and Beyond. Montreal: Working Papers In Communications, McGill University: 19–40.Google Scholar
- Bonzai, Mr (1996) ‘Jeff Lynne: Producing History’, Mix, May: 76–80.Google Scholar
- Burns, Gary (1987) ‘The Myth of the Beatles’, South Atlantic Quarterly, 86: 169–80.Google Scholar
- Burr, Ty (1996) ‘Let It Be … Longer’, Entertainment Weekly, 13 September: 138–9.Google Scholar
- Cantillon, J. P. and Sheila M. Cantillon (eds) (1996) The Beatles: Anthology of a Band. New York: Biograph Communications.Google Scholar
- Cohn, Nik (1996) ‘Introduction’, in Robert Friedman and the Editors of Life (eds), The Beatles: From Yesterday to Today. Boston: Bullfinch P/Little, Brown: 8–17.Google Scholar
- Cunningham, Mark (1996) ‘The New Beatles Videos’, Record Collector, February: 136–137.Google Scholar
- Davies, Hunter (1969) The Beatles: the Authorized Biography. New York: Dell.Google Scholar
- Davis, Fred (1979) Yearning for Yesterday: a Sociology of Nostalgia. New York: Free Press.Google Scholar
- Doggett, Peter (1996) ‘Gimme Some Truth: Beatles Anthology 2’, Record Collector, April: 22–5.Google Scholar
- Frith, Simon (1996) ‘Introduction: Backward and Forward’, in Charlie Gillett and Simon Frith (eds), The Beat Goes On: the Rock File Reader. London: Pluto.Google Scholar
- Gaar, Gillian G. (1995) ‘Roll Up, Roll Up, for the Magical History Tour: a Preview of the Beatles Anthology’, Goldmine, 10 November: 18–30.Google Scholar
- Giles, Jeff (1995) ‘Come Together’, Newsweek, 23 October: 60–7.Google Scholar
- Lennon, Julian (1982) ‘In His Own Words’, Instant Karma, April/May (reprinted at <http://www.instantkarma.com/julianissue3express htm>): 1–2.
- Kinder, Marsha (1987) ‘Phallic Film and the Boob Tube: the Power of Identification in Cinema, Television and Music Video’, One Two Three Four (Spring): 33–49.Google Scholar
- Krenis, Karen (1996) ‘Free as a Bird’, Film and Video, March: 28–32.Google Scholar
- Snow, Mat (1995) ‘“God in Heaven, What was I On?”’, Mojo, 24 (November):52–9.Google Scholar
- Wiener, Jon (1991a) ‘Beatles Buy-Out: How Nike Bought the Beatles’ “Revolution”’, in Jon Wiener (ed.), Professors, Politics and Pop. London: Verso.Google Scholar
- Wiener, Jon (1991b) ‘John Lennon versus the FBI’, in Jon Wiener (ed.), Professors, Politics and Pop. London: Verso.Google Scholar