Employing Qualitative Methods in the Assessment of Environmental Policy
Drawing on emerging debates in geography around questions of identity and consumption my research, based in Sheffield, UK, employs a qualitative methodology. In this chapter I work through some initial findings from my PhD research to suggest ways in which this qualitative research should be used to assess environmental policy more effectively.
KeywordsEurope Income Expense Arena
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Blowers, A., The Limits of Power: The Politics of Local Planning Policy (Oxford: Pergamon, 1980).Google Scholar
- Clarke, D, D., ‘Towards a Geography of the Consumer Society’, working paper 91/3 (Leeds: School of Geography, University of Leeds, 1991).Google Scholar
- Eden, S, S., ‘Individual Motives and Commercial Retailing in Green Consumerism’, unpublished PhD thesis (School of Geography, University of Leeds, 1992).Google Scholar
- Jackson, P., ‘Towards a Cultural Politics of Consumption’, in J. Bird, B. Curtis, T. Putnam, G. Robertson and L. Tickner (eds), Mapping the Futures: Local Cultures, Global Change (London: Routledge, 1993).Google Scholar
- Johnson, R., ‘The Story So Far and Other Transformations?’, in D. Punter (ed.), Introduction to Contemporary Cultural Studies (London: Longmans, 1986).Google Scholar
- Lauretis, T. de, Alice Doesn’t: Feminism, Semiotics and Cinema (Bloomington, Ind.: Indiana University Press, 1984).Google Scholar
- Miller, D., Material Culture and Mass Consumption (Oxford: Blackwell, 1987).Google Scholar
- Passmore, J., Man’s Responsibility for Nature: Ecological Problems and Western Traditions (London: Gerald Duckworth and Co., 1974).Google Scholar
- Steward, F., ‘Green Times’, in S. Hall and M. Jacques (eds), New Times: The Changing Face of Politics in the 1990s (London: Lawrence and Wishart, in association with Marxism Today, 1990).Google Scholar
- Stroh, M., ‘Consuming Environmental Policy’, in I. Fodor and G. Walker (eds), Environmental Policy and Practice in Eastern and Western Europe (Pécs: Hungarian Academy of Sciences, 1995).Google Scholar