1945 to the early 1960s: relative contentment, limited debate and modest change.
Early 1960s to 1975: growing doubts and the drive to modernise British institutions.
1975 to the present: radical discontent and the written constitution debate.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Amery, L., Thoughts on the Constitution (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1947).Google Scholar
- Beer, S. H., Modern British Politics (London: Faber, 1965).Google Scholar
- Birch, A. H., Representative and Responsible Government (London: Allen and Unwin, 1964).Google Scholar
- Hailsham, Lord, The Dilemma of Democracy (Glasgow: Collins, 1978).Google Scholar
- Johnson, N., In Search of the Constitution (Oxford: Pergamon, 1977).Google Scholar
- Jones, B. and M. Keating, Labour and the British State (Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1989).Google Scholar
- Jowell, J. and D. Oliver (eds), The Changing Constitution, 2nd edn (Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1989).Google Scholar
- Laski, H., Reflections on the Constitution (Manchester: Manchester University Press, 1951).Google Scholar
- Madgwick, P. and D. Woodhouse, The Law and Politics of the Constitution (London, Harvester Wheatsheaf, 1995).Google Scholar
- Morrison, Lord, Government and Parliament (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1964).Google Scholar
- Mount, F., The British Constitution Now (London: Heinemann, 1992).Google Scholar
- Norton, P., The Constitution in Flux (Oxford: Martin Robertson, 1982).Google Scholar
- Norton, P., ‘The Impact of Europe on the British Constitution, pre-Maastricht’, Talking Politics, vol. 6, no. 3 (1994).Google Scholar
- Oliver, D., ‘Citizenship in the 1990s’, Politics Review, vol. 3, no. 1 (1993).Google Scholar
- Peele, G., ‘The Constitution’ in P. Dunleavy, A. Gamble, I. Holliday and G. Peele (eds), Developments in British Politics 4 (London: Macmillan, 1993).Google Scholar
- Ridley, F., ‘There is no constitution: a dangerous case of the Emperor’s clothes’, Parliamentary Affairs, vol. 41, no. 3 (1988).Google Scholar
- Smith, T., ‘The British Constitution: Unwritten and unravelled’, in J. Hay ward and P. Norton (eds), The Political Science of British Politics (London: Wheatsheaf, 1986).Google Scholar
- Stacey, F., British Government 1966–1975: The Years of Reform (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1975).Google Scholar
- Thornhill, W. (ed.), The Modernisation of British Government (London: Pitman, 1975).Google Scholar
- Wright, A., ‘The Constitution’, in L. Tivey and A. Wright (eds), Party Ideology in Britain (London: Routledge, 1989).Google Scholar