Monetary Integration in the EU: Issues and Prospects. Or, Will You Be Paying for the Millenium Party in ECU?
Monetary integration, and in particular the prospect of a monetary union among all or most EU members in the not too distant future, is probably the most significant internal economic issue confronting Europe and the process of European integration in this latter part of the twentieth century. Its outcome will undoubtedly be an important indicator of the strength, the direction and the immediate prospects of the whole European integration project, and as such it will both reflect and help to determine the economic, political and social shape of the continent into the next twenty-first century.
KeywordsEconomic Crisis Europe Income Expense Omic
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Brouwer, F., Lintner, V., and Newman, M. (eds) (1994), Economic Policy and the European Union, Federal Trust, London.Google Scholar
- Church, C. H. and Phinnemore, D. (1994), The European Union and European Community, Harvester Wheatsheaf, Hemel Hempstead.Google Scholar
- Corden, W. M. (1972) ‘Monetary Integration’, Princeton Essays in International Finance, No. 73, Princeton, NJ.Google Scholar
- European Commission (1995), One Currency for Europe, Green Paper on the Practical Arrangements for the Introduction of the Single Currency, Brussels.Google Scholar
- European Parliament (1994), The Social Consequences of Economic and Monetary Union, Working Paper, Social Affairs Series, Luxembourg.Google Scholar
- Fleming, M. (1971), ‘On Exchange Rate Unification’, Economic Journal, No. 81, pp. 467–88.Google Scholar
- Lintner, V. and Mazey, S. (1991), The European Community: Economic and Political Aspects, McGraw-Hill, Maidenhead.Google Scholar
- Mundell, R. A. (1961), ‘A Theory of Optimum Currency Areas’, American Economic Review, No. 51, pp. 657–65.Google Scholar
- Myrdal, G. (1956), Economic Theory and Underdeveloped Regions, Duckworth, London.Google Scholar
- Oates, W. (1972), Fiscal Federalism, Harcourt, Brace, Jovanovitch, New York.Google Scholar