Traders and Development
- 63 Downloads
This essay emphasizes the positive contributions of traders to the development process, especially in its early phases.
KeywordsExchange Economy Capital Formation Trading Activity Demonstration Effect Subsistence Production
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Hoh-cheung and Lorna H. Mui, Shops and Shopkeeping in Eighteenth Century England (London, 1989) pp. 291–92.Google Scholar
- 4.Adam Smith, The Wealth of Nations (London, 1776).Google Scholar
- 5.W. K. Hancock, Survey of British Commonwealth Affairs (London: Oxford University Press, 1940).Google Scholar
- 6.Reed Moyer, Marketing in Economic Development (Institute for International Business Management Studies, Michigan State University, 1965) p. 1.Google Scholar
- 7.Reed Moyer and Stanley C. Hollander, eds., Markets and Marketing in Developing Economies (Homewood, Illinois: Richard D. Irwin, Inc., 1968) p. 1.Google Scholar
- 8.P. T. Bauer and B. S. Yamey, Markets, Market Control and Marketing Reform (London: Weidenfeld and Nicolson, 1968) pp. 4–5.Google Scholar
- 10.Alice G. Dewey, Peasant Marketing in Java (New York, Free Press, 1962).Google Scholar
- Leon V. Hirsch, Marketing in an Underdeveloped Economy: The North Indian Sugar Industry (Englewood Cliffs, N.J.: Prentice-Hall, Inc., 1961).Google Scholar
- 11.W. F. Stolper, “A Note on the Multiplier, Flexible Exchanges and the Dollar Shortage”, Economia Internazionale, August 1950, pp. 772–73.Google Scholar
- 14.Paul A. London, Merchants as Promoters of Rural Development: An Indian Case Study (New York: Praeger Publishers, 1975) pp. v–vi.Google Scholar
- 16.Leon V. Hirsch, Marketing in an Underdeveloped Economy: The North Indian Sugar Industry (Englewood Cliffs, N.J.: Prentice-Hall, Inc., 1961).Google Scholar
- 17.P. T. Bauer, “Some Aspects and Problems of Trade in Africa”, in Reed Moyer and Stanley C. Hollander, eds., Markets and Marketing in Developing Economies, op. cit., p. 49.Google Scholar
© Gerald M. Meier 1994