Charter and Structure of the United Nations
The structure and some of the most important procedures of the United Nations are set forth in its Charter (for the full text see the Appendix). This constitutional document emerged from the San Francisco Conference and has remained formally unchanged, except for the enlargement of the Security Council and the Economic and Social Council. It provides the institutional framework for the organization. Examining its main features can help in understanding the UN’s success in reaching its main goal: the maintenance of international peace and security. Moreover, knowledge of the constitutional structure is essential for the discussion of possible reforms, later in this book.
KeywordsEurope Shipping Assure Expense Egypt
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bailey, Sydney D., The Procedure of the UN Security Council (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1975).Google Scholar
- Blued, A. and van Dijk, P., Forty Years International Court of Justice: Jurisdiction, Equity and Equality (Utrecht: Europa Instituut, 1988).Google Scholar
- Finkelstein, Lawrence S. (ed.), Politics in the United Nations System (Durham and London: Duke University Press, 1988).Google Scholar
- Franck, Thomas M., ‘The Good Offices Function of the UN Secretary-General’, in Roberts and Kingsbury, op.cit., pp. 79–94.Google Scholar
- Goodrich, Leland M., Edvard Hambro and A. P. Simons, Charter of the United Nations. Commentary and Documents, 3rd. rev. edn (New York: Columbia University Press, 1969).Google Scholar
- Meron, Theodor, The United Nations Secretariat (Lexington, Mass.: D. C. Heath, 1977).Google Scholar
- Nichol, Davidson, et al., The United Nations Security Council: Towards Greater Effectiveness (New York: UN Institute for Training and Research, 1982).Google Scholar
- Pérez de Cuéllar, Javier, The Role of the UN Secretary-General’, in Roberts and Kingsbury, op.cit., pp. 61–77.Google Scholar
- Peterson, M. J., The General Assembly in World Politics (Boston, Mass.: Allen & Unwin, 1986).Google Scholar
- Urquhart, Brian, Hammarskjöld (New York: Knopf, 1972).Google Scholar