Assessment of older people at home — a missed opportunity?
The contract for general practitioners (GPs) introduced in April 1990 and the Community Care Act which becomes operational in April 1993 have put the issue of assessment of the needs of older people, people with mental health problems and people with learning disabilities clearly on to the policy agenda. In addition, the last five years have seen a shift in the emphasis of government health care policy from the provision of a ‘sickness and treatment’ service to one which encapsulates the concepts of health promotion and education.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Baldwin, J. T. (1967). The use of a nurse in general practice. Journal of the Royal College of General Practitioners, 13, 164–7.Google Scholar
- British Geriatric Society (BGS) and Health Visitors Association (HVA) (1986). Health visiting for the health of the aged. A joint policy statement. BGS and HVA: London.Google Scholar
- Cater, L. and Hawthorne, P. (1988). A survey of practice nurses in the UK, in Bowling, A. and Stilwell, B., (eds), The Nurse in Family Practice. Scutari Press: London.Google Scholar
- de la Cuesta, C. (1992). Marketing the service: basic social process in health visiting. Unpublished Ph.D. thesis, University of Liverpool.Google Scholar
- Department of Health (1991). Practice Nurse Workforce Statistics. HMSO: London.Google Scholar
- Dingwall, R. (1977). The Social Organisation of Health Visitor Training. Croom Helm: London.Google Scholar
- Fowler, G., Fullard, E. and Muir Gray, J. A. (1988). The extended role of practice nurses in preventive health care, in Bowling, A. and Stilwell, B. (eds). The Nurse in Family Practice. Scutari Press: London.Google Scholar
- Health Departments of Great Britain (1989). General practice in the National Health Service: The 1990 Contract. HMSO: London.Google Scholar
- Liverpool Family Health Services Authority (1990). Personal communication.Google Scholar
- McClymont, M., Thomas, S. and Denham, J. (1986). Health Visiting and the Elderly. Churchill Livingstone: London.Google Scholar
- Nursing Standard News (1990), 4, 31, 5.Google Scholar
- Royal College of Nursing (1984). Training Needs of Practice Nurses. Report of a Steering Group. RCN: London.Google Scholar
- Vetter, N. J., Jones, D. E. and Victor, C. R. (1984). Effect of health visitors working with elderly patients: a randomised controlled trial. British Medical Journal, 48, 1, 44–5.Google Scholar
- Skevington, S. (1988). Occupation Psychology and Nursing. John Wiley: Chichester.Google Scholar