Structural Change and Labour Market Adjustment
This paper reviews the process of short-run adjustment in labour markets in response to structural change. A basic framework for analysis is presented and empirical tests of the role of wages in adjustment are considered. It is argued that conventional correlation tests are mis-specified. Alternative tests are therefore proposed and applied, providing support for the Tobin-Solow view of the labour market as one of disaggregate disequilibrium.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Arrow, K. J. (1959), ‘Toward a Theory of Price Adjustment’, in M. Abramowitz (ed.), The Allocation of Economic Resources (Stanford University Press), pp. 41–51.Google Scholar
- Fair, R. C. and Jaffee, R. M. (1972), ‘Methods of Estimation for Markets in Disequilibrium’, Econometrica, 40, May.Google Scholar
- Freebairn, J. W. and Withers, G. A. (1977), ‘The Performance of Manpower, Forecasting Techniques in Australian Labour Markets’, Australian Bulletin of Labour, 4(1), December, 13–31.Google Scholar
- Freeman, R. (1972), Labor Economics (Prentice-Hall).Google Scholar
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (1965), Wages and Labour Mobility (Paris, OECD), (excerpted in J. F. Burton et al. (eds), Readings in Labor Market Analysis (New York, Holt Rinehart and Winston, 1971), 310–43.Google Scholar
- Reder, M. W. (1962), ‘Wage Differentials: Theory and Measurement’, in Aspects of Labor Economics ( New York, NBER ), 257–99.Google Scholar
- Reddaway, W. B. (1959), ‘Wage Flexibility and the Distribution of Labour’, Lloyd’s Bank Review, 54 (reprinted in B. J. McCormick and E. Owen-Smith (eds), The Labour Market (Penguin, 1968 ), 181–99 ).Google Scholar
- Solow, R. M. (1980), ‘On Theories of Unemployment’, American Economic Review, 70(1), March, 1–11.Google Scholar
- Tobin, J. (1972), ‘Inflation and Unemployment’, American Economic Review, LXII (1), March, 1–18.Google Scholar
- Walker, K. F. (1970), Australian Industrial Relations Systems ( Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press).Google Scholar