The Azerbaijani Armenian Conflict: Possible Paths towards Resolution
The Azerbaijani-Armenian conflict has become widely known as causing one of the first outbreaks of violence on the grounds of nationalism during the period of perestroika. Commentary and analysis in the USSR and in the world following the events in Nagorno-Karabakh and Baku differ greatly, however, in their scientific and political approach. Within the Soviet Union, analysis tends to focus on the socio-economic grounds for the conflict — an approach in line with official Marxist-Leninist doctrine. Central mass media have tried to show that the conflict is a result of the joint activities of corrupted state bureaucrats and leaders of ‘underground’ economic structures fighting against the reforms of perestroika. According to this interpretation the bureaucrats connected with the ‘mafia’ feel that power is slipping away from them, which means not only the loss of considerable profits, but also the beginning of legal actions against corrupt elements and possible future imprisonment of those involved in the ‘underground’. Indeed, trials in Uzbekistan have showed that this process bears real danger for the mafia (although these trials were held in a manner reminiscent of the Stalin-Brezhnev era). In fact, dozens of groups, including hundreds of state prosecutors, have begun official investigations of corrupt elements in Azerbaijan.
KeywordsCommunist Party Official Investigation Party Leader Military Unit Politburo Member
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Arutunyan, V.B., ‘Sobitiya v Nagornom Karabakhe’, Khronika, Chaut 1, February 1988 — January 1989, Institute of History, Academy of Sciences of Armenian SSR, Yerevan, 1990.Google Scholar
- Barsegov, Y. G., 1989. Pravo na samoopredeleniye — oanova demokraticheskogo resheniya mejnatsionalnih problem: k probleme Nagornogo Karabakha, Ayastan, Yerevan, p. 88.Google Scholar
- ‘Genotsid Armyan v Osmanskoi Imperii’, 1983. Sbornik dokumentov i materialov. (Ed. Nersisyan), Ayastan, Yerevan, 2nd ed.Google Scholar
- Glazami nezaviaimih nablyudateley: Nagorny Karabakh i vokrug negoChrw(133), 1990. ( Sbornik materialov.) Sostavitely: S.T.Zolyan, G.K. Mirzo-yan. Yerevan State University Publishing House.Google Scholar
- Hushudyan, L.A., 1989. Istina — yedinstvennii kriterii istoricheskoi nauki, (Prichini i teeli novogo etapa antiarmyanakoi, kampanii, razvernuvsheysya v Azerbaijane v svyazi s problemoi Nagornogo Karabakha.), Yerevan State University Publishing House.Google Scholar
- In: Mkrtchan, Shagen, 1988. ‘Istoriko-arkhitekturnie pamyatniki Nagornogo Karabakha’, Vtoroie izdaniie, Parberaken Yerevan.Google Scholar
- Sobitiya vokrug NKAO v krivom zerkale falsifikatorov’, 1989. Sbornik materialov, Academy of Sciences of Azerbaijanian SSR, Elm, Baku.Google Scholar
- SumgaitChrw(133)GenotsidChrw(133)Glasnost?’, Znaniye Armenian SSR, Yerevan, 1990, p. 11.Google Scholar
- ‘Tragedia diinnou v 2 goda’, Fotokhronika sobitii, Azernesh, Baku, 1990.Google Scholar
- Yakubova, M. (1990). ‘Stiraya “beliye pyatna”, Literaturny Azerbaijan. ( Baku). no. 3.Google Scholar