The nature of positioning and its relationship to market segmentation.
The role of perception in choice decisions and its measurement through perceptual mapping.
The concepts of positioning and ‘ladders in the mind’.
The idea of ‘niche marketing’.
The nature of branding and its use in marketing.
The concept of the augmented product and its role in developing competitive advantage.
The view that increasingly companies will be regarded as brands, and marketed as such.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
Notes and References
- 1.Al Ries and Jack Trout, Positioning: the Battle for your Mind (London: McGraw- Hill International Editions, 1986) 1st edn rev.Google Scholar
- 2.Glen L. Urban and Steven H. Star, Advanced Marketing Strategy: Phenomena, Analysis and Decisions (Englewood Cliffs, N.J.: Prentice-Hall, 1991).Google Scholar
- 3.Michael J. Baker and Susan Hart, Marketing and Competitive Success (London: Philip Allen, 1989).Google Scholar
- 4.London: Paul Chapman Publishing (1989).Google Scholar
- 5.‘Meaning of Image’, Journal of Retailing, 50 (1974).Google Scholar
- 6.See n. 1 above.Google Scholar
- 7.Philip Kotler, Marketing Management: Analysis, Planning and Control (Englewood Cliffs, N.J.: Prentice-Hall, 1991) 8th edn.Google Scholar
- 8.In Michael J. Baker (ed.), The Marketing Book (London: Butterworth Heinemann, 1991).Google Scholar
- 9.R. D. Buzzell and B. T. Gale, The PIMS Principles: linking strategy to performance (London: Collier Macmillan, 1987).Google Scholar
- 10.T. Peters, Thriving on Chaos (London: Macmillan, 1988).Google Scholar
- 11.T. Levitt, ‘Marketing Myopia’, Harvard Business Review (July-August 1960) p. 45.Google Scholar
- 12.T. Levitt, The Marketing Imagination (London: Collier Macmillan, 1983).Google Scholar
- 13.See n. 8 above.Google Scholar
- 14.D. K. Clifford and R. E. Cavanagh, The Winning Performance: How America’s high growth mid-size companies succeed (London: Sidgwick 8c Jackson, 1985).Google Scholar
- 15.Marketing Business (July-August 1991).Google Scholar
- 16.Stephen King, ‘Brand-building in the 1990s’, Journal of Marketing Management, 7(1) (January 1991).Google Scholar