Information technology and information systems
In discussing computer-based information systems (CBIS), due regard must be paid to the underlying (information) technology. Much has been written about the ‘IT Revolution’, eulogizing the advances made in hardware, software and telecommunications. Managers, however, should beware the seductiveness of ‘progress’, as identified by technocrats, and should avoid becoming enmeshed in the intricacies of the technology. It is overly simplistic to claim that the development of CBIS has been solely technology driven, but it would be equally naive to neglect its key role in influencing the pace and direction of development. In this chapter, we shall briefly, but critically, highlight some of the main trends in information technology in order to provide a technological backdrop for the subsequent discussion of information systems.
KeywordsInformation System Management Fire Brigade Strategic Defense Initiative Strategic Information System Transaction Processing System
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Forester, T. (ed.), The information technology revolution, Blackwell, Oxford, 1985.Google Scholar
- 2.Parkinson, C. Northcote, Parkinson’s Law, Penguin, London, 1986.Google Scholar
- 3.Shneiderman, B., Designing the user interface: strategies for effective human-computer interaction, Addison-Wesley, Reading, Mass., 1987.Google Scholar
- 5.Leavitt, H. & Whisler, T., ‘Management in the 1980’s’, Harvard Business Review, Vol.36, No.6, 41–48, 1958.Google Scholar
- 8.Mooers, C.N., ‘Mooers’ Law or why some retrieval systems are used and others are not’, American Doc., Vol.11, No.3, 1960.Google Scholar
- Trends in information technology Forester, T. (ed.), The information technology revolution, Blackwell, Oxford, 1985.Google Scholar
- Wilkinson, G.G. & Winterflood, A.R. (eds.), Fundamentals of information technology, Wiley, Chichester, 1987.Google Scholar
- History of information systems Somogyi, E.K. & Galliers, R.D., ‘From data processing to strategic information systems — a historical perspective’. In: Somogyi, E.K. & Galliers, R.D. (eds.), Towards strategic information systems, Abacus Press, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, 1987.Google Scholar