This chapter applies the basic arbitrage theorem in a single-period setting to develop a version of what is known as the capital asset pricing model (or CAPM).
KeywordsDiscount Factor Price Relation Expected Return Excess Return Market Payoff
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Allingham, M. (1991) ‘Existence Theorems in the Capital Asset Pricing Model’, Econometrica, no 59.Google Scholar
- Black, F. (1972) ‘Capital Market Equilibrium with Restricted Borrowing’, Journal of Business, no. 45, pp. 444–55.Google Scholar
- Black, F., Jensen, M. and Scholes, M. (1972) ‘The Capital Asset Pricing Model: Some Empirical Tests’, in M. Jensen (ed) Studies in the Theory of Capital Markets (New York: Praeger).Google Scholar
- Brennan, M. J. (1989) ‘Capital Asset Pricing Model’, in J. Eatwell, M. Milgate and P. Newman (eds) The New Palgrave: Finance (London: Macmillan).Google Scholar
- Fama, E. and MacBeth, J. (1973) ‘Risk, Return and Equilibrium: Empirical Tests’, Journal of Political Economy, no 81, pp. 607–36.Google Scholar
- Jensen, M. (1969) ‘Risk, the Pricing of Capital Assets, and the Evaluation of Investment Portfolios’, Journal of Business, no 42, pp. 167–247.Google Scholar
- Jensen, M. (1972) ‘Capital Markets: Theory and Evidence’, Bell Journal of Economics and Management Science, no 2, pp. 357–98.Google Scholar
- Lancaster, K. (1968) Mathematical Economics (Toronto: Macmillan).Google Scholar
- Lintner, J. (1965) ‘The Valuation of Risk Assets and the Selection of Risky Investments in Stock Portfolios and Capital Budgets’, Review of Economics and Statistics, no 47, pp. 13–37.Google Scholar
- Roll, R. (1977) ‘A Critique of the Asset Pricing Theory’s Tests — Part 1: On Past and Potential Testability of the Theory’, Journal of Financial Economics, no 4, pp. 129–76.Google Scholar
- Roll, R. (1978) ‘Ambiguity when Performance is Measured by the Security Market Line’, Journal of Finance, no 33, pp. 1051–69.Google Scholar
- Sharpe, W. (1964) ‘Capital Asset Prices: A Theory of Market Equilibrium under Conditions of Risk’, Journal of Finance, no 19, pp. 425–42.Google Scholar
- Solnik, B. (1974) ‘Stock Prices and Monetary Variables: The International Evidence’, Financial Analysts’ Journal, no 40, pp. 69–73.Google Scholar
© Michael Allingham 1991