A Fresh Start: Managing the Prison Service
On 13 May 1986, the Home Secretary Mr Douglas Hurd announced the publication of the Report of the joint study by Prison Department and PA Management Consultants on the complementing and shift systems worked by prison officers (Prison Service, 1986). In a written answer the Home Secretary claimed that the report presented ‘a telling indictment of the present shift and complementing systems in the Prison Service and the working practices which surround them’. The Report, he went on to say, made ‘recommendations for new systems which would release large amounts of now unproductive capacity which ought to be used for other purposes’. The recommendations represented a ‘major programme of relbrm’ for which he sct a target date fir implementation, after appropriate discussions, of April 1987. Thus was ushered In the package which has come to be called ‘Fresh Start’. It represented the government’s attempt to bring the prison system into line with its general pursuit of ‘economy, efficiency and effectiveness’ in the public services.
KeywordsClay Amid Shrinkage Expense Pyramid
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- CAINES, E. (1988) ‘A View from one of the Architects’, Prison Service Journal, 1–4 (July).Google Scholar
- DUNBAR, I. (1985) A Sense of Direction, London: Home Office.Google Scholar
- EVANS, R. (1987) ‘Management Periùrmance and Lnlbrmation’, Prison Service Journal, April, pp. 9–12.Google Scholar
- KING, R. D. and McDERMOTT, K. (1989) ‘British Prisons 1970–87: The Ever-Deepening Crisis’, British Journal of Criminology, 29, 2, pp. 107–28.Google Scholar
- MOONEY, J. D. and REILEY, A. C. (1939) The Principles of Organisation, New York: Harper.Google Scholar
- MORGAN, R. (1983) ‘How Resources Are Used in the Prison System’, in A Prison System fir the 80s and Beyond, The Noel Buxton Lectures, 1982–83, London: NACRO.Google Scholar
- POA (No Date) A Fresh Stmt: The View of the NEC, Cronin House, London: Prisons Officers’ Association.Google Scholar
- PRISON SERVICE (1986) HM Prison Service, Studr of Prison Officers’ Complementing and Shift Systems, Joint Study by Prison Department and PA Management Consultants, Volume I: Report, London: HM Prison Service.Google Scholar
- PRISON SERVICE (1987a) A Fresh Start: Bulletin 8, London: HM Prison Service, 3 April.Google Scholar
- PRISON SERVICE (1987b) A Fresh Start: Bulletin 9,London: HM Prison Service, 18 May.Google Scholar
- PRISON SERVICE (1988) A Fresh Start: Bulletin 15, London: HM Prison Service, 29 April.Google Scholar
- TRAIN, C. (1985) ‘Management Accountability in the Prison Service’, in M. Maguire, J. Vagg and R. Morgan (eds), Accountability and Prisons, London and New York: Tavistock.Google Scholar