Consideration of the most significant aspects of power amplifiers; power efficiency and distortion.
Classification of power stages according to mode of operation; classes A, B, AB, C, D and E.
Analysis of class A and class B stages leading to the popular class AB circuit.
Discussion of the operation and merits of class C, D and E stages.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
References and further reading
- 1.M.E. Goodge, Semiconductor Device Technology (Macmillan, 1985) (a) section 2.3.7, (b) sections 2.2.21 and 2.3.7Google Scholar
- 2.E.S. Oxner, Power FETs and their Applications, chapter 7 (Prentice-Hall, 1982)Google Scholar
- 3.R.J. Smith, Circuits, Devices and Systems, 4th edition, chapter 21 (Wiley, 1984)Google Scholar
- 4.G.C. Haas, ‘Design Factors and Considerations in Full Complementary Symmetry Audio Power Amplifiers’, J. Audio Eng. Soc., 16, no. 3, July 1968.Google Scholar
- 5.N. O. Sokal and A. D. Sokal, ‘Class E: A New Class of High-Efficiency Tuned Single-Ended Switching Power Amplifiers’, IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, SC-10, no. 3, June 1975.Google Scholar
- 6.R.J. Maddock and D.M. Calcutt, Electronics: A Course for Engineers, chapter 5 (Longman, 1988)Google Scholar
- 7.P.M. Chirlian, Analysis and Design of Integrated Electronic Circuits, 2nd edition, chapter 15 (Harper and Row/Wiley, 1987)Google Scholar
- 8.C.J. Savant, M.S. Roden and G.L. Carpenter, Electronic Circuit Design, chapter 6 (Benjamin/Cummings, 1987)Google Scholar
- 9.T.L. Floyd, Electronic Devices, 2nd edition, chapter 10 (Merrill, 1988)Google Scholar
- 10.A.S. Sedra and K.C. Smith, Microelectronic Circuits, 2nd edition, chapter 10 (Holt, Rinehart and Winston, 1987)Google Scholar
- 11.T.F. Bogart, Electronic Devices and Circuits, chapter 15 (Merrill, 1986)Google Scholar
- 12.J. Millman and A. Grabel, Microelectronics, 2nd edition, chapter 17 (McGraw-Hill, 1988)Google Scholar
- 13.C.L. Alley and K.W. Atwood, Microelectronics, chapter 15 (Prentice-Hall, 1986)Google Scholar
- 14.M.S. Ghausi, Electronic Devices and Circuits, chapter 6 (Holt-Saunders, 1985)Google Scholar
- 15.R.A. Colclaser, D.A. Neamen and C.F. Hawkins, Electronic Circuit Analysis, chapter 15 (Wiley, 1984)Google Scholar
- 16.S.A. Knight, Electronics for Higher TEC, chapter 4 (Granada, 1983)Google Scholar
- 17.M. Cirovic, Basic Electronics, 2nd edition, chapter 12 (Prentice-Hall, 1979)Google Scholar
- 18.C.A. Holt, Electronic Circuits, chapter 16 (Wiley, 1978)Google Scholar