Stanislav Gustavovich Strumilin
Born Strumillo-Petrashkevich, of Polish descent, in Dashkovtsy, Russia, on 29 January 1877, Strumilin died in Moscow on 25 January 1974. He studied at the St Petersburg Polytechnical Institute under P.B. Struve and M.I. Tugan-Baranovsky and was twice sentenced to internal exile before the 1917 Revolutions. A Menshevik delegate to the Stockholm (1906) and London (1907) Party Congresses, he did not formally join the Bolshevik side until 1923. Apart from a break in 1937–43, when as an ex-Menshevik he was banished to the Urals in the Great Purge, he was on the staff of the State Planning Committee from 1921 (nominated by Lenin personally) to 1951; then aged 74, he moved to the Party’s Academy of Social Sciences. An Academician from 1931, he received a Stalin Prize in 1942 for work on the wartime development of the Urals.
KeywordsPlan Economy Labour Unit Capital Expenditure Select Work Akademii Nauk SSSR
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1924. The economic significance of national education. Trans. by B. Jeffrey in The Economics of Education, ed. E.A.G. Robinson and J.E. Vaizey, London: Macmillan, 1966, from Ekonomika truda (The Economics of Labour), Moscow, 1925. Reprinted in Selected Works, Vol. 3, 101–31, from Planovoe khoziastvo (Planned Economy), No. 9–10, 1924.Google Scholar
- 1929. K problem effektivnosti kapital’nykh zatrat’ (On the problem of the efficiency of capital expenditure). Planovoe khoziastvo (Planned Economy), No. 7. In Selected Works, Vol. 2, 417–30.Google Scholar
- 1946. The time factor in capital investment projects. International Economic Papers No. 1, London: Macmillan, 1951. Trans. from Izvestiia Akademii Nauk SSSR. Otdelenie ekonomiki i prava (News of the USSR Academy of Sciences. Division of Economics and Law), No. 3. Reprinted in Selected Works, Vol. 4, 213–31.Google Scholar
- 1957. Iz perezhitogo 1897–1917 gg. (Out of my past 1897–1917). Moscow: Gospolitizdat.Google Scholar
- 1962. The economics of education in the USSR. International Social Science Journal 14(4). Reprinted in Selected Works, Vol. 5, 265–77, from Ekonomicheskaia gazeta (Economics Gazette), 2, April 1962.Google Scholar
- 1963–5. Izbrannye proizvedeniia (Selected Works). 5 vols, Moscow: Izdatel’stvo Nauka.Google Scholar
- Davies, R.W. 1960. Some Soviet economic controllers. Soviet Studies 11(3).Google Scholar
- Ekonomicheskaia entsiklopediia: Politicheskaia ekonomiia. 1980. Vol. 4. Moscow: Izdatel’stvo sovetskaia entsiklopediia.Google Scholar
- Jasny, N. 1972. Soviet Economists of the Twenties. Names to be Remembered. Cambridge and New York: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Sutela, P. 1984. Socialism, Planning and Optimality. A Study in Soviet Economic Thought. Commentationes Scientiarum Socialium No. 25, Helsinki: Societas Scientiarum Fennica.Google Scholar
- Wheatcroft, S.G. and Davies, R.W. (eds) 1985. Materials for a Balance of the Soviet National Economy, 1928–1930. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar