The literature surrounding the subject of underwater acoustic communications is, in some respects, surprisingly scant. This is particularly the case if one concentrates only upon that material directly concerned with actual underwater communication systems as opposed to more general aspects of propagation and channel modelling. The major difficulties with which the communication engineer is concerned, when attempting to design underwater acoustic communication systems, revolve around the problems of reverberation and multipath transmission and high attenuation at high acoustic frequencies. An extensive bibliography on the subject has been published by the author [10.1]. A subset of that bibliography, dealing with selected specific underwater communication systems is presented here [10.2–10.13]. However, the reader is referred to the original source for more information on specific communication systems, and papers on general aspects of channel modelling and more detailed mathematical treatments than can be handled in a text of this nature.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [10.1]R. Coates and P. Willison, Underwater Acoustic Communications: A Bibliography and Review, Proc. Inst. Acoustics, Vol. 9, Pt 4, December 1987, pp. 54–62Google Scholar
- [10.2]R. Coates, Acoustic Data Telemetry from Beneath the Ocean Floor, Proc. IEEE Oceans’87 Conf., Nova ScotiaGoogle Scholar
- [10.6]J.V. Chase, A Tracking and Telemetry System for Severe Multipath Acoustic Channels, Proc. IEEE Oceans’81 Conf., Boston, Mass., pp. 35–39Google Scholar
- [10.7]D. Garrood, Applications of the MFSK Acoustic Communications System, Proc. IEEE Oceans’81 Conf., Boston, Mass., pp. 67–71Google Scholar
- [10.8]P.O. Kearney and C.A. Laufer, Sonarlink — A Deep Ocean, High Rate, Adaptive Telemetry System, Proc. IEEE Oceans’84 Conf, Washington, D.C., Sept. 1984, pp. 49–53Google Scholar
- B. Leduc and A. Glavieux, Long Range Underwater Acoustic Image Transmitting System, Institut Français de Recherche pour l’Exploitation de la Mer, BP 337, 29273 Brest Cedex.Google Scholar
- G.R. Mackelburg, S.J. Watson and A. Gordon, Benthic 4800 Bits/s Acoustic Telemetry, Proc. Oceans’81 Conf, Boston, Mass., p. 72Google Scholar
- [10.11]C.S. Miller and C.E. Bohman, An Experiment in High-Rate Underwater Telemetry, IERE Conf. on Eng. in the Ocean Environment, 1972Google Scholar
- [10.12]R.B. Mitson, T.J. Storeton-West and M.G. Walker, Fish Heart-rate Telemetry in the Open Sea Using Sector Scanning Sonar, Biotelem. Patient Monitoring, Vol. 5, No. 3, 1978, pp. 149–53Google Scholar
- [10.13]R.M. Dunbar, S.J. Roberts and S.C. Wells, Communications, Bandwidth Reduction and System Studies for a Tetherless Unmanned Submersible, Proc. IEEE Oceans’81 Conf., Boston, Mass., pp. 127–131Google Scholar
- [10.15]W.C. Jakes, Jr., Microwave Mobile Communications, Wiley, New York, 1974Google Scholar
- [10.18]F. de Jager and M. Christiaens, A Fast Automatic Equaliser for Data Links, Philips Tech. Rev., Vol. 37, No. 1, 1977, pp. 10–24Google Scholar