The Devaluation Debate in Tanzania
The protracted dispute between Tanzania and the International Monetary Fund, which lasted over half a decade, was widely publicised internationally. It has been the subject of numerous articles in newspapers and scholarly journals so much so that it might be thought that the subject has been thoroughly exhausted. To one who was intimately involved in advising on policy formulation in that country between 1981 and 1984, however, it seems that there is still more to be said; not all the issues have been aired fully, nor have all the nuances been adequately or sometimes accurately explored.
KeywordsExchange Rate Foreign Exchange Structural Adjustment Structural Adjustment Programme Urban Worker
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.See John Loxley, ‘Alternative Approaches to Stabilisation in Africa’, in Gerald K. Helleiner (ed.), Africa and the International Monetary Fund (Washington DC: IMF, 1986) p. 124.Google Scholar
- 3.World Bank, Tanzania: Country Economic Memorandum (Washing-ton, DC: 1985) p. 15.Google Scholar
- 2.See R.H. Green, ‘Political-Economic Adjustment and IMF Condition-ality: Tanzania 1974–81’, in John Williamson (ed.) IMF Conditionality (Washington: Institute for International Economics, 1983);Google Scholar
- Brian Van Arkadie, ‘The IMF Prescription for Structural Adjustment in Tanz-ania’, in Karel Jansen (ed.), Monetarism, Economic Crisis and the Third World (London: Frank Cass, 1983);Google Scholar
- Frances Stewart, Economic Policies and Agricultural Performance: The Case of Tanzania (Paris: OECD, 1986);Google Scholar
- Benno Ndulu, ‘Stabilisation and Adjustment Program-mes and Policies — Tanzania’ (Helsinki: World Institute for Develop-ment Economics Research, 1987).Google Scholar
- 5.See R.H. Green, D.G. Rwegasira and B. Van Arkadie, Economic Shocks and National Policy Making: Tanzania in the 1970s (The Hague: Institute of Social Studies, 1980).Google Scholar
- 46.Government of Tanzania, Economic Recovery Programme (Dar es Salaam: May 1986) p. 15.Google Scholar
- 47.Government of Tanzania, Policy Framework Paper 1987/88 to 1989/90 (Dar es Salaam: June 1987).Google Scholar
- See also Government of Tanzania, Programme for Economic Recovery (Dar es Salaam: June 1987).Google Scholar