Theoretical perspectives on father-daughter incest
Incest and the incest taboo are topics which have attracted the attention of writers from all areas of the social and medical sciences — anthropology, sociology, psychology, and psychoanalysis have all contributed to a vast body of literature on the subject. It is not within the ambit of this chapter to address all the issues and questions raised by this literature; discussion will necessarily be limited to the professional literature which has a direct bearing on the way that social agencies in the twentieth century have understood and dealt with child sexual abuse.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
Notes and references
- 2.Sigmund Freud, Introductory Lectures on Psychoanalysis, 1933.Google Scholar
- 3.Sigmund Freud. ‘Some Psychical Consequences of the Anatomical Distinction Between the Sexes’, in S. Freud, On Sexuality, The Pelican Freud Library vol. 7 (Harmondsworth: Penguin, 1977), p. 335.Google Scholar
- 4.L. Bender and A. Blau, ‘The Reaction of Children to Sexual Relations with Adults’, American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, vol. 7, 1937, pp. 514–5.Google Scholar
- 5.P. Sloane and E. Karpinski, ‘Effects of Incest on the Participants’, American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, vol. 12, 1942, pp. 672–3.Google Scholar
- 6.J Rinehart, ‘Genesis of Overt Incest’, Comprehensive Psychiatry, vol. 2, December 1962, pp. 347–8.Google Scholar
- 9.Nancy Chodorow, The Reproduction of Mothering: Psychoanalysis and the Sociology of Gender (Berkeley: University of California, 1978).Google Scholar
- 10.Judith Herman, Father—Daughter Incest (Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press, 1981).Google Scholar
- 12.T. Gutheil and N. Avery, in Family Process, 1977, pp. 105–16.Google Scholar
- 19.Karin Meiselman, Incest: A Psychological Study of Causes and Effects with Treatment Recommendations (London: Jossey-Bass, 1981), p. 50.Google Scholar
- 20.P. Gebhard, J. Gagnon, W. Pomeroy and C. Christenson, Sex Offenders: An Analysis of Types (New York: Harper & Row, 1965).Google Scholar
- 27.Louise Armstrong, Kiss Daddy Goodnight: A Speakout on Incest, (London: Pocket Books, 1979).Google Scholar
- 28.Herman, Father—Daughter Incest; Elizabeth Ward, Father—Daughter Rape (London: Women’s Press, 1984).Google Scholar