‘A Hard Cheerfulness’: An Introduction to Raymond Chandler
I lay on my back on a bed in a waterfront hotel and waited for it to get dark. It was a small front room with a hard bed and a mattress slightly thicker than the cotton blanket that covered it. A spring underneath me was broken and stuck into the left side of my back. I lay there and let it prod me….
KeywordsSteam Assure Beach Smoke Trench
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Frank MacShane, The Life of Raymond Chandler (London: Cape, 1976).Google Scholar
- 3.See Edmund Wilson, ‘Who Cares Who Killed Roger Ackroyd?’, repr. in Classics and Commercials (London: Allen and Unwin, 1951).Google Scholar
- 4.Frederic Jameson, ‘On Raymond Chandler’, Southern Review, 6 (1970) 624–50.Google Scholar
- 6.See the essays by Dilys Powell, Natasha Spender and Michael Gilbert in The World of Raymond Chandler, ed. M. Gross (London: Weidenfeld and Nicolson, 1977).Google Scholar
- 10.See Bernard Sharratt, ‘Question 6: Raymond Chandler, The Big Sleep’, in Reading Relations: Structures of Literary Production (Brighton: Harvester, 1982).Google Scholar